Does the Acer Spin 3 have a spare m.2 or msata slot for a SSD?

Answers

• jenchiwei
    jenchiwei Member Posts: 10 New User

i did a fresh clean installation from Microsoft windows 10 medial creation tool to usb. After a new installation somehow the windows 10 activation pick up the digital incense. 

• raptor88
    raptor88 Member Posts: 23

Tinkerer

jenchiwei said:

i did a fresh clean installation from Microsoft windows 10 medial creation tool to usb. After a new installation somehow the windows 10 activation pick up the digital incense. 

----------

Thanks for the feedback.

Raptor88

• raptor88
    raptor88 Member Posts: 23

Tinkerer

jenchiwei said:

----------

Jenchiwei,

Do you have the 1TB drive still intalled in your Spin3?  If so, after doing a fresh install of Win10 on your SSD, if you check Disk Management does it show

... 1. The M.2 SSD as Drive-0 and the 1TB drive as Drive-1?

... 2. Or does it show the 1TB drive as Drive-0 and the SSD as Drive-1?

I received and installed my Crucial M.2 SSD and cloned the 1TB drive to it.  Then I used Diskpart to clean the 1TB drive so it is now all "unallocated".  I can boot fine from the SSD but Win10's Disk Management is listing my drives as in item-2 above.  Can't figure out why.

• jenchiwei
    jenchiwei Member Posts: 10 New User
    Not yet. Thanks for the reminder. I will see how it goes.
  • George35
    George35 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I am trying to install a Samsung EVO 850 M.2 SATA SSD. Did anybody did that?
  • George35
    I am interested in speed boost from the Magician software.
  • George35
    The laptop has a M.2 slot available on the motherboard. I purchased a Samsung EVO 850 250GB with form factor 2280 and installed. Now I have the HDD for data and SSD for Windows 10. This SSD has a speed mode and uses RAM to speed the SSD. I measured read and write over 6000 MBps compared to 100 of the HDD. Just look on the back of the laptop and you will see the mounting riser through the vent slots. If you buy this SSD make sure you buy a mounting screw because it is not included with the SSD. The screw is a 2 milimeter times 3milimeter and is needed to secure the SSD.
  • Lmar8860
    Lmar8860 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2018
    Anybody know where to get the mounting screw for the WD BLUE m.2 SSD in the US?
  • Tabun
    Tabun Member Posts: 1 New User
    Lmar8860 said:
    Anybody know where to get the mounting screw for the WD BLUE m.2 SSD in the US?
    I had one from an old laptop I had lying around, but they should be available at your local home improvement store, or as a last resort rob one from another place in your laptop. 

I was just wondering if the updated Bios v1.05 recognized NVME SSD's now? I swapped my original 1TB hdd out with an older 250GB 2.5" SSD from my old laptop, but now I keep getting RapidStore notifications that says my SSD is at the end of it's life. The drive has been powered on for a better part of 4 years straight so it may just be a matter of hours powered on, but I decided to buy a new one and noticed the m.2 slot. I sure would like the transfer speed of a PCIe NVME but a regular m.2 Sata SSD would let me put the original 1TB spinner back in for movie storage. 
  • tomgadgets
    tomgadgets Member Posts: 6 New User
    Anyone knows if the Spin 1 SP111-32N (not the 31) can also accept m.2 SSD?
  • Abu129954
    Abu129954 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Does the spin 3 SP3-14-51 model have PCIE SSD supprt
  • Huggotivi
    Huggotivi Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

I have the same question, anyone has tested Spin 3 SP3-14-51 model? What SSD? Thanks!! :)
  • Huggotivi

Tinkerer

Here in Spain in a Shop, they told me SP3-14-51 doesn't accept m.2 ssd. I don't know if it's true, could anyone confirm this? Thanks!! 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    edited June 2018
    Huggotivi said:
    Here in Spain in a Shop, they told me SP3-14-51 doesn't accept m.2 ssd. I don't know if it's true, could anyone confirm this? Thanks!! 
    Hi,
    You have M.2 slot in your model and a M.2 SATA SSD can be used.
  • Huggotivi

Tinkerer

Thanks so much brummyfan2!! Can't wait to buy this model :)
  • brummyfan2
    Huggotivi said:
    Thanks so much brummyfan2!! Can't wait to buy this model :)

You are welcome :)
  • Huggotivi

Tinkerer

I have my new Spin3 here, I opened but I don't know where is M.2 Slot. Do you know where can I download technical motherboard manual (Acer Spin 3) or just where it's this slot in the photo? 

Thanks so much!!  
  • Huggotivi

Tinkerer

edited June 2018
    It's yellow marked... Samsung 960 Evo installed! Fingers crossed! Thanks!! 

• mbrittb00
    mbrittb00 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Did anyone ever figure out what size screw was needed to mount the SSD drive?
  • brummyfan2
    edited August 2018
    mbrittb00 said:
    Did anyone ever figure out what size screw was needed to mount the SSD drive?
    Hi,
    The screw size is M2xL3.5, part number:86.V7MN1.002, you can buy it in a hardware shop or a Laptop repair shop.