Aspire One ZG5 harddrive upgrade

D1005
D1005 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi,

New here, and not much of a techie.   I have an Aspire One ZG5 with a 160 gig  harddrive that I've never filled even half of.  I'd like to upgrade to an SSD drive.  My knowledgeable nephew will be home at christmas to do the actual work, but I need to get the proper SSD for him to install.

I've read it takes a 2.5", but I've also seen 1.3" drives specifically for the Aspire One Netbook.  Uh, ok.  Which is it?   Does it indeed take a 2.5", they are much more common.  Is there any other size limitations to consider?  Maybe thickness?  If 2.5" fits, 1.3" fits, I'd assume the 1.8" units I've seen are also an option?

I have the computer, he's a thousand miles away and while very computer literate, he's never worked on the little netbook, so I'm at  a bit of a lose on getting the proper drive.

Thanks, I much appreciate any information regarding size, or even the better affordable brands.

Dale, lost in Michigan

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi Dale,

Thanks.Smiley Happy

Here are the specifications of the original HDDs shipped with this model:

• Form factor: 2.5"
    • Height: 9.5mm
    • Size: 160Gb - SATA2 (3Gb/s)

So you could install a 2.5" SSD cased of 7mm with an adapter (rubber spacer):

Laurent

France

Answers

• Hello,

Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • D1005

That I can do, I hope, those numbers are mighty small and my eyes aren't so young anymore...   Smiley LOL

LUS050B228

Full S/N *******************

Above that AOA 150-1635

At the bottom, SNID: *************

Lot more than you asked for I know, but figured I might as well cover the bases just in case.

Thanks,  Dale

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi Dale,

Thanks.Smiley Happy

Here are the specifications of the original HDDs shipped with this model:

• Form factor: 2.5"
    • Height: 9.5mm
    • Size: 160Gb - SATA2 (3Gb/s)

So you could install a 2.5" SSD cased of 7mm with an adapter (rubber spacer):

Laurent

France
  • D1005

Awesome!  Thanks so much.

Dale