What graphics cards fit a ATC 120?

RickBoy
RickBoy Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Has anyone installed a graphics card in an ATC 120? From what I have read, buying and installing a graphics card will improve my gamining experience, but I don't know how to know what graphics card to buy, best place to buy, etc. I understand that some will not fit in all computers. Thanks for any help!

Answers

• Hello,

For information, the Aspire TC-120 series was shipped with:

• Spoiler
      DA.23511.001VGA BD.R5-235.2GB.ATX.UEFI.W/DVI/HDMI
      DA.74511.001VGA BD.GTX745.DDRIII.4GB.UEFI
    • PSU of 220, 300 or 500W
    France
  • RickBoy

Thank you for the response. I know it reflects my lack of knowledge, but I don't know what those numbers mean. Are those graphics cards that came with the computer? Are you saying I don't need a graphics card? Thanks for your help.

1. ...what those numbers mean
      These are Acer part numbers. It's an example of type of graphic board (power).
    2. Are those graphics cards that came with the computer?
      These boards were shipped with certain models of ATC-120.
      -
      Nvidia GTX 745: 55Watts. AMD R5-235: 35Watts
    3. Are you saying I don't need a graphics card?
      Not at all. First you have to know the power of your PSU. If you want, I can find it with this information:

Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • RickBoy

Great. Here are the first ten characters of my S/N:

DTSV8AA005

Thanks!

• Hello,

Hmmm... Your desktop is equipped with a small PSU of 200W only so you'll need to replace it too.

France
  • RickBoy

What is a PSU, and is that something I can buy and replace myself? I have some rudimentary skills with computers, such as installing CPU fans and memory strips.

So, what would you recommend replacing teh PSU with, and if I followed that recommendation, what graphics card could I then install?

Thanks again for your help.

• acercc
    acercc Member Posts: 5 New User

I have the exact same model (DT.SV8AA.005, from Costco) and am also looking to upgrade the stock Radeon HD 8670D graphics card (or find another solution) in order to be able to use a 1440p or 4k monitor.  

Here is an overview of the desktop with pictures of the inside of the unit.

The only changes I have made to the computer are an upgrade to Windows 10 and adding an extra 8GB of RAM (12GB total).  Just looking for the cheapest and simplest solution to using a higher resolution monitor--I am only looking to use it for web browsing and text (MS Office apps), no games. 

I know the existing 200W power supply is miniscule, but does anyone know of an upgrade I can make without having to upgrade the power supply???

Any other suggestions??  

• acercc

Would a used NVIDIA NVS 310 give me at least 1440p through the DP 1.2 out?

• acercc

Decided to try the Radeon R7 240.

I will stop talking to myself now.

• acercc

I added the R7 240 and was up and running in about 5 minutes.  1440p at 60 Hz and 2160p at 30 Hz through the HDMI port.  The 200W power supply doesn't appear to be an issue.