chromebook 14 CB3-431 - bad keys

MSeek
MSeek Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

On my Chromebook 14 CB3-431 - The keys on the left side of the keyboard (Q, A, Z) are no longer working.  I have tried rebooting multiple times and logged in as Guest and still these keys will not respond.  This is for my high school age son who uses this for homework, which not having the 'A' key especially pretty much renders the chromebook useless.  It was just bought in August.   Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

That sounds like an issue with the keyboard hardware. Likely there's something wrong with on of the stacked membranes that for the keyboard wiring matrix. Best bet is to contact Acer support and have them fix it, since it's still in warranty.

Note that if he spilled something on the keyboard, causing the problem then the warranty won't cover. I always buy accident insurance for my son's devices for that reason. Smiley Sad

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • B_Matthews
    B_Matthews Member Posts: 1 New User
    Exact same issue here, but the computer is now out of warranty. Do you think I can purchase a new keyboard and install to solve the problem. Using ACER's 3rd party repair service at $129.90 doesn't seem like a good option, since I can purchase a new chromebook for $200 these days.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    You might be able to, just do some searching on eBay and the like for parts. Sometimes that type of an error is repairable too, of it's just contamination instead of a cracked trace.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.