Iconia w510 shutting down 30 seconds or less after startup

KenDavies
KenDavies Member Posts: 15 New User
edited March 18 in 2020 Archives

W510

KD1 Keyboard

Windows 8.1

Fully charged

Installed Windows updates last night, this morning the machine Displays "Shutting Down" less than 30 seconds after starting. Sometimes I can get as far as the desktop, Win+X, Power Options.... Then shuts down. Can't disable Fast Startup, can't access BIOS, can't get to Safe Mode, can't boot to USB, can'taccess Event Viewer.

I can shift-restart at login but the keyboard keys aren't recognized when choosing restart options

Best Answer

• KenDavies
    Answer ✓

Success!

I was able to complete a System Restore. Running System Restore from ... Recovery Console(?) was unsuccessful after 3 attempts but I tried something different after the third attempt. The restores were failing because a "file was not accessible" and the system suggested it was due to antivirus being active. I don't know if Eset is loaded at the Recovery level but at any rate, when I restarted I went directly to Safe Mode (not sure how I achieved that) and when I was at the desktop in Safe Mode the System Restore failure message was still evident. I 'retried' and the Restore was successful.

The restore point chosen was the one immediately prior to the update which caused the failure.

According to the Event Viewer the shutdowns were triggered by a thermal event. (the tablet WAS NOT even warm - erreneous reporting).

The updates are available again but I don't know which to avoid. I'll post captures of Event Viewer and of current available updates if someone could suggest which update may have been responsible for this failure I would appreciate the input. But I'm pretty sure it's

INTEL - OTHER HARDWARE - INTEL(R) DYMANIC PLATFORM AND THERMAL FRAMEWORK GENERIC PARTICIPANT

Untitled1.png

Answers

• KenDavies

Trying 'Automatic Repair' now....

• KenDavies

That didn't work.

Trying 'Change UEFI Firmware Settings'....

• KenDavies

OK, I was able to 'Enable F12' and 'Boot to USB'

But to only option on the list is 'Windows Boot Manager'

Doesn't boot to USB

• KenDavies

Trying System Restore.....

• KenDavies

The machine has been running for several minutes now - initiated System Restore - working on it- "Restoring files...."

Obviously not a power or battery issue.

Almost certainly a conflict with recent Windows Update.

The tablet has been in my bag for a couple of weeks, idle, so I don't yet know which update is responsible; there were 14 of them queued up. Will experiment if I can get this thing working.

If anyone else is having this issue you can access advanced troubleshooting by clicking the power symbol at the login screen, hold shift key, click restart

• KenDavies

"Finalizing File Restore..."

• KenDavies

"System Restore did not complete successfully....." etc

• KenDavies

I'm at a loss, likely going to start from scratch next

• KenDavies

I was able to use the keyboard to choose Safe Mode!!

Going to uninstall recent updates one at a time....

• KenDavies

Still no solution, I had to get on an airplane . I'll try some more weeding out tonight

• KenDavies
    Answer ✓

Success!

I was able to complete a System Restore. Running System Restore from ... Recovery Console(?) was unsuccessful after 3 attempts but I tried something different after the third attempt. The restores were failing because a "file was not accessible" and the system suggested it was due to antivirus being active. I don't know if Eset is loaded at the Recovery level but at any rate, when I restarted I went directly to Safe Mode (not sure how I achieved that) and when I was at the desktop in Safe Mode the System Restore failure message was still evident. I 'retried' and the Restore was successful.

The restore point chosen was the one immediately prior to the update which caused the failure.

According to the Event Viewer the shutdowns were triggered by a thermal event. (the tablet WAS NOT even warm - erreneous reporting).

The updates are available again but I don't know which to avoid. I'll post captures of Event Viewer and of current available updates if someone could suggest which update may have been responsible for this failure I would appreciate the input. But I'm pretty sure it's

INTEL - OTHER HARDWARE - INTEL(R) DYMANIC PLATFORM AND THERMAL FRAMEWORK GENERIC PARTICIPANT

Untitled1.png

• KenDavies
  • KenDavies
  • KenDavies

Some very UNhelpful information from Microsoft:

Untitled4.png

• dgaliffa
    dgaliffa Member Posts: 1 New User

This is a long shot since this is from last year, any chance you're still active on here? I have an Acer Iconia w510 that is doing the same thing yours was I think. It boots but then instantly shuts down about 20 seconds later, I can't seem to get it to boot into safe mode to try uninstalling the update as your solution suggests.

I was only able to get into the advanced recovery features once and could not choose safe mode because the keyboard wasn't active. And now I can't even get it to boot into the recovery features at all, what is the specific key to do so, I've tried Esc, F8, and F2. I can use the volume rocker to get into the BIOS but nothing in their will get me into the recovery.

Please help! I need to get this tablet working again.

• Brorim
    Brorim Member Posts: 2 New User
    I was about to toss my W510 because of this .. I found a post on a Microsoft site that told me that if I use the shutoff button on the W510 while it loads windows 3 times it will boot into recovery mode .. THAT WORKED :) did a system restore back to Windows 8.0 and did all the updates .. ( took like two days ) then some update amongst the final ones made it reboot again shortly after login .. SO .. back to system restore mode and luckily it had made ONE restore point after the installation of windows 8.1 . I chose that and it seemingly failed but after a reboot it succeeded and I am now back in windows 8.1 trying to figure out which update it is that causes the error to occur :) hopes this helps ..
  • Brorim
    Brorim Member Posts: 2 New User
    Found out which update it is .. It's the "intel - other hardware - intel© dynamic platform and thermal framework generic participant" ..
    Shows up like a driver in the "non important" section of windows update . When you install that it initiates the boot loop ..
  • fusky5
    fusky5 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Once I got into the system under Safe-Mode, I looked under the device manager and found the Intel-Other Hardware - Intel (R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Generic Participant entries. I deleted them all, saved the changes and rebooted the PC.....sorted. I initially looked under in View installed updates in Programs and Features, but they weren't there.
  • JohnW510
    JohnW510 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks! Worked for me. Just got enough time to shift+click the power icon before it shut down. Boot into safe mode, opened device manager and removed all of the Thermal* drivers.