Switch Alpha 12 - USB-C HDMI and VGA adapters only work intermittently.

tpinchuktpinchuk Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12. I've purchased a usb-c charget (targus - compact and works great!) as well as two display adapters. 1 HDMI and 1 VGA. 

The VGA one always works, but the screen turns off and on intermitantly. I've tried this with 2 monitors and multiple cables. 

The HDMI one is hit or miss. Most of the time the SA12 does not detect the monitor at all. Once in a blue moon (appears random) it will detect and work perfectly until the display times out (i.e. if i get a cup of coffee) and wont come back on.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? I've installed the displaylink drivers - but it does not make a difference. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

FAQ & Answers

• padgettpadgett ACE Posts: 4,444 Pathfinder

Never had a problem like that but doesn't DisplayLink require a displayling adapter ? (I have Targus and Mediasonic dual-display docs that work just fine with Win 10 Anniversary on all of my Win 10 portables.

Have heard that Windows only supports two kinds of USB-C adapters.

• RandyVRandyV Member Posts: 39 Die Hard

I have separate HDMI and VGA USB-C adapters from Kanex and both of them work perfectly.  I use the HDMI extensively as the main connection to my home monitor.  The VGA is used primarily to connect to projectors at my office for presentations.   I've never had a drop problem with the connection.

The only thing I do notice when using the HDMI adapter is that audio is very choppy.  Not sure if it's the adapter or the audio driver for the Alpha. 

• Peter604Peter604 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Hi

I had similar issue and my was a power issue.

I bought a 'Lindy' branded Type C to HDMI-USB A (SS) with Type C power input.

The HDMI output to my display worked but drops out every 10-15 seconds for split second.

Then I went out and bought a generic USB A (SS) to HDMI.  It worked out of the box.

I then got hold of a HP 45W Type C power adapter.  I plugged the Type C adapter to the Switch Type C PD connector.  It charges my Switch 12 perfectly.  No issues.

Then I thought I'll try the Lindy adapter again as it has a Type C PD input for power, the Lindy adapter HDMI with the external Type C power adapter provided a stable image on my HDMI screen with the power adapter and it also charged my Switch 12.  So the USB PD spec is doing what it is advertised.  Problem - ugly setup.  You can see the picture, it is a mess and I was not going to use that everyday.

So, if you have a Type C - HDMI, you may be having issues due to inadequate power output on the Switch 12 Type C plug. 

You may want to use an external USB hub with external power adapter for the hub.  Our Type A connector is SS type, so it is fast enough for all our needs.  I use an external powered USB3.0  7-Port hub.  My generic HDMI sits on the hub as well as all the other USB gadgets.  Just 1 cable to unplug when I take the Switch out for a drive.  :-) 

Yes, my Lindy Type C is sitting as a spare in the bottom of the drawer now.

20170319_003549.jpg

Peter

• ExegeticusExegeticus Member Posts: 1

I am trying to connect my Switch Alpha 12 to an Epson projector that doesn't have an app for Windows tablets but does use HDMI. I contacted Kanex and they haven't got back to me, so I am wondering what model Kanex you are using. I appreciate your input.