Can't connect my Aspire R15 to my wireless router. Keeps saying can't connect.

kbz5150
kbz5150 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I feel like everything I can think of has been done. Resetting computer to factory settings, turning the wifi off and on, even forget the network then adding it again to do over whole process but anytime I try to connect to the Verizon wireless router it says "can't connect to this network." Meanwhile I can connect to the same wireless router with my smartphone and my macbook pro. The Aspire R15 also works connecting to other wifi networks no matter where I take it. Is this simply a wifi issue that may be a wifi booster or what can I do to the wireless router to rectify this situation? Any help/advice you can lend would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I'd start by telling the computer to forget that connection. The try connecting to it again. Maybe you entered the wrong password. You said you already tried it but is the place to start.

Next right click on the wireless icon in the tray and select "troubleshoot problems".

Also check the router for the number of connections allowed. Perhaps you already maxed out with the other devices.

• kbz5150
    kbz5150 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I've done the forget the network then try connecting again multiple times typing lower case and upper case for the password.

Also checked the troubleshoot problems and they said it had an issue but couldn't identify.

I was thinking maybe the router is at maximum capacity but how would I know this? Is there a way of knowing from looking at it or would I have to see what type of wireless router it is from Verizon then research an answer online?

It's tough cause its our landlord's router. If worse came to worse, could we simply run an ethernet cable to connect for internet?
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

As a workaround, try giving your R15 a static IP address.  I've had to do that before at certain places (e.g. restaurants) to get a connection

1.  On your smartphone, use Fing to figure out what the default gateway is.   Eg. 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.overlook.android.fing&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fing-network-scanner/id430921107?mt=8

2.  If the Verizon router is 192.168.2.1 then try giving your R15 a static IP address of 192.168.2.7

You may have to keep trying.  Examples:

etc......

If the Verizon router is 192.168.1.1 then try 192.168.1.7

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

This is where certain network tools like Nmap are handy. It can tell you exactly which devices/addresses respond on a network and often identify devices by OS and open ports.

Note: if the network is being monitored for such, security may notice your activity and could visit to ask what you are doing.

• markmocarski
    markmocarski Member Posts: 2 New User
    You need a router Wi-Fi password. Mine is eight characters.
  • markmocarski
    markmocarski Member Posts: 2 New User
    Its called the network key. Go to Network from THIS PC. Click the router icon--look thru your settings...for network key.