xb321hk...... 8 bit !!

michmiite
michmiite Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 14 in 2018 Archives

forgiveness for the english, i'm french.

my XB321HK arrived and surprise 8 Bpc in Nvidia. what a desappointment.....Smiley Sad

Answers

• bizplan
    bizplan Member Posts: 3 New User

I bought this monitor (build date week 10 of 2016) about 1 1/2 months ago and back then Acer advertised and represented on its Predator website (subsequently and recently changed) that this was a 10-bit color depth (1.07 billion color palette) monitor as opposed to an 8-bit color depth (16.7 million colors) monitor. 

There are likely thousands of us that bought this monitor under false pretenses and I've seen several posts in this forum complaining of this very issue. It is disappointing in that I really like this monitor, but feel deceived and the Acer reps that support this forum try to confuse the issue by stating that certain SKUs/part numbers of this particular model are 8-bit somehow suggesting that there are different SKUs of the XB321HK. 

Not sure I believe this and would like an explanation (or preferably a 10-bit XB321HK monitor), tell us the truth!

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,049 Trailblazer

Hello,

First I'm not an Acer employee. The LCD panel specs indicate:

• Display Colors : 1.07B   (10-bit) , sRGB 100%

This one is mounted on UM.JX1AA.001 or UM.JX1AA.002 (AA or EE). So probably a firmware update would be necessary.

France
  • Jose-Acer
    Jose-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,339 Community Administrator

Hello everyone,

Acer has found a mistake in the specs listing for the Predator XB321HK monitor.  We have since corrected this mistake.  The fact is, the G-SYNC module in the XB1 Monitor is 8 bit in and 10 bit out.  This makes it capable of driving a 10 bit LCD panel but is limited by the 8 bit input rate.  We apologize for the misunderstanding.

Thank you.

• RidingTheFlow
    RidingTheFlow Member Posts: 93 Fixer WiFi Icon

Misunderstanding? More like "false advertising"" Smiley Wink 

Though obviously there is a waiver clause which probably says something "specs on this site are not exact and we can change them any time we want blah blah", but consumer protection laws will probably disagree...

• bizplan
    bizplan Member Posts: 3 New User

No Acer tech Jose, I think Acer PURPOSELY advertised 10 bit as a "SELLING POINT" knowing people would more likely shell out $1,300 for a higer-end monitor with deeper color depth capabilities. So Acer knew all along that its 10 bit screen would be limited by 8 bit input thereby knowingly selling a product that would not and could not EVER conform to advertised specs (10 bit 1.07 billion colors ADVERTISED vs. 8 bit 16.7 million colors ACTUAL) and now trying to JUSTIFY it as a mistake. This practice is known as false, misleading advertising.

• sblantipodi
    sblantipodi Member Posts: 46 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Shame on Acer.