^ month old acer ao1 431 C2Q8 ACER ASPIRE ONE CLOUDBOOK 14. can't update windows 10....

brisuth4
brisuth4 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Is this normal for a 6 month old machine..? I can't update windows 10. The message says that there's not enough room to update windows 10, so I buy a 32 gig card....still it says theres not enough space,,,so I try a 32gig usb stick....still no joy.....So I take it back to PC World where I'm treated like a child and told that they won't take it back...they'll just send it back to Acer to have windows 8 put on ...??!  and did I realise it was a cloudbook and NOT a laptop...!! Left the shop with steam coming out of my ears...

so, my question is this....Has anyone out there succeeded in updating their windows 10 cloudbook Because that despite having owned and worked with computers for over 30 years I cannot solve this problem....

(Nor have I experienced such poor ill informed salespeople as I have in PC World....but that's another story...

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

you need an USB flash drive or external HDD with at least 16Gb and it must be NTFS formatted.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/upgrade-devices-less-free-space-windows-10

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Do you have Windows 10 already and are trying to install Win 10 Anniversary (1607) ? To do that you need either 18GB of free space (not easy) or 15GB free and a NTFS formatted flash drive to do it online.

Otherwise you will need to download the update to a bootable flash drive and go from there. Both methods are well documented.

With only 2GB or RAM you should stick to Windows 10-32, -64 would be constantly swapping and very slow.

• brisuth4

Thanks for the reply....I will format my 32gb to ntfs and try that....I discovered my  flash drive was fat format..so that could be the issue..will let you know after the w/e....

• brisuth4

padgett wrote:

Do you have Windows 10 already and are trying to install Win 10 Anniversary (1607) ? To do that you need either 18GB of free space (not easy) or 15GB free and a NTFS formatted flash drive to do it online.

Otherwise you will need to download the update to a bootable flash drive and go from there. Both methods are well documented.

With only 2GB or RAM you should stick to Windows 10-32, -64 would be constantly swapping and very slow.

Hi...I have windows 10 already...but I wanted to update it....I'm going to do the NTFS format and try again with the 32gb flashdrive.....

• rachelab1977
    rachelab1977 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have the same problem also. Too bad i didnt realize the little storage size it has before I purchased it.

• Balam
    Balam Member Posts: 1 New User

I am having the same problem, I bought it on Tuesday to use while out and about and Windows starts to automaticaly update then it goes off and will not start, thought it just a glitch at first, reinstalled windows 10 it was fine but again automatic updates did the same thing.

• brisuth2
    brisuth2 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Finally, after just over a year (while the ACER lived in a dark cupboard under the stairs...) I have solved the issue, and now have a slick fast running cloudbook. Just like I thought I'd bought way back in April 2016. I achieved this by using Microsoft's media creation tool, getting it to wipe the Acer completely, and doing a fresh install.
    This wiped ALL the Acer rubbish from the drive and installed a pristine, crapware free windows installation. Two days later there was a windows update and it loaded and installed with no problems. It is fast, boots up in seconds and the only thing I've added is Chrome, which makes it even faster... It is now exactly what I wanted. And it's no thanks to PC World, who really aught to go back to selling white goods and leave selling computers to grown ups, and it's no thanks to Acer for releasing a woefully inadequate machine and for having a useless support system. 
    I shall never believe their product descriptions again and shall steer well clear of them in future. Hope this helps some of you who had the misfortune to end up owning one of these machines. 
  • RBerryman
    RBerryman Member Posts: 1 New User

Finally, after just over a year (while the ACER lived in a dark cupboard under the stairs...) I have solved the issue, and now have a slick fast running cloudbook. Just like I thought I'd bought way back in April 2016. I achieved this by using Microsoft's media creation tool, getting it to wipe the Acer completely, and doing a fresh install.
    This wiped ALL the Acer rubbish from the drive and installed a pristine, crapware free windows installation. Two days later there was a windows update and it loaded and installed with no problems. It is fast, boots up in seconds and the only thing I've added is Chrome, which makes it even faster... It is now exactly what I wanted. And it's no thanks to PC World, who really aught to go back to selling white goods and leave selling computers to grown ups, and it's no thanks to Acer for releasing a woefully inadequate machine and for having a useless support system. 
    I shall never believe their product descriptions again and shall steer well clear of them in future. Hope this helps some of you who had the misfortune to end up owning one of these machines. 

Can you in detail tell how to do this, I'm having the exact same problem

• almoor
    almoor Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have this same problem - not enough space to update Windows - after contacting Acer Support they suggesting factory reset however there is not enough memory to do this either!!!  I understood that the hard drive memory was low when I purchased but as only for my daughters homework and docs all stored of USB or on online school site though this wouldn't be an issue.  Any suggestions to help me reset...Acer have recommended I return to them for "Out of Warranty" repair which will cost me £47.50 just for diagnosis!  Frustrating thing is was probably still under a year old when first started getting warning that storage low etc....Any suggestions would be appreciated.