The FN brightness control keys on my Aspire F5-573 Laptop have stopped working.

Hello, can somebody point me in the right direction to solve the following problem.

I have just purchased an Acer Aspire F5-573-52MU Laptop and a week after purchase (Sept 2016) my Fn Hotkey stopped working when I try to increase or decrease the brightness (Fn + Right or Left Arrow), but it still works when I adjust the Volume (Fn + Up or Down Arrow).

I have also performed a complete factory reset (As suggested by ACER Support), but to no avail?

The screen needless to say is very bright and with no control over the brightness leads to a faster discharge of the battery. Has anybody encountered a similar problem on this model, any suggestions to rectify this would be gratefully received?

Best Answer

• Technic14Technic14 Member Posts: 2
    Accepted Answer

It would seem MS Win10 auto update "might possibly have updated the driver" creating a loss of the hotkey functionality. This would also explain why my factory reset/install failed to correct the problem?

Replaced the monitor driver manually in device manager by selecting the generic PnP Monitor version. PROBLEM SOLVED, Yah! Man Happy Although I feel this problem may well happen again on the next update (I hope not)!

Anyway this cured my problem...

FAQ & Answers

• Technic14Technic14 Member Posts: 2
    Accepted Answer

It would seem MS Win10 auto update "might possibly have updated the driver" creating a loss of the hotkey functionality. This would also explain why my factory reset/install failed to correct the problem?

Replaced the monitor driver manually in device manager by selecting the generic PnP Monitor version. PROBLEM SOLVED, Yah! Man Happy Although I feel this problem may well happen again on the next update (I hope not)!

Anyway this cured my problem...

• TreeHugRTreeHugR Member Posts: 3

I know this is an old thread, but this solution worked on my Aspire R 15 (R5-571TG). I reinstalled both video drivers, and the hotkeys driver. Nothing worked; I couldn't change brightness with the hotkeys, in Windows 10 display settings, in each of the display adapter settings. I never thought to try changing the monitor driver. It worked like a charm. @Technic14, thanks for preventing a full factory reset. I just got my software where I wanted it on the laptop after two weeks, and didn't want to start from scratch again. #Thumbsup