PXE-M0F No bootable device, Bios bypassed

Shippo273
Shippo273 Member Posts: 7 New User

Predator G9-791-735A

Windows 10

I have a complicated situation. I was trying to dual boot my laptop. At first it wasn't registering my USB and I read that I had to change from UEIF to the older version. While I was in the BIOS I also set the supervisor password. Finally got it to install and when I restarted my computer I got PXE-M0F/check cable connection/no bootable device. I tried to go into the bios to change the settings back to default but now every time I hit the key to get into bios and type my password it just goes straight to trying to boot so now I can only boot from a USB. I tried to take out the CMOS to set everything back to default in the BIOS but no matter how long I leave it out, it won't reset. While it was out I had it disconnected from the AC adapter and also from the motherboard. My next step was to try and flash the BIOS but I can't run the program from the command prompt and I can't get into Windows and as far as I know Windows doesn't have a live version to run the program. I also tried to do the factory reset and restore from a backup in the Windows installation screen but it said that it could not figure out which operating system to restore and to restart my computer. I'm running out of ideas, can anyone else think of something?

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

that message appears when the BIOS can't find a bootable device and it stops and PXE (ethernet/LAN) boot.

i can only suggest you to take off the HDD/SSD and then try to boot to BIOS, switch back to UEFI and hope that EFI partition is still intact on the HDD/SSD.

if you are able to switch back to UEFI, then plug back the HDD/SSD and try to boot.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Shippo273

I appreciate the advice but that was one of the last trouble-shooting proceedures I did, I forgot to mention it.

• IronFly

Have you removed the ODD too (DVD drive)?

put it back but without the HDD and try to access BIOS.

• Shippo273

I've never had one in, I always used the graphics card in it's place. I also tried to cause a keyboard error to get into the BIOS. When I booted without the SSD it said something like no operating system found, even with the USB. So far the only thing it likes to boot on in a live version of linux from the USB.

• IronFly

No optical drive on your laptop?

i can find it on the tech specs...

• Shippo273

In the packaging it came with a CD drive and graphics card, I never use CD's so I keep the graphics card in. I mostly use the laptop for gaming and homework.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

ok, so please put the CD drive in and try to boot to BIOS.

• Shippo273

Alright so at first without pressing anything I got the same error. After rebooting, pressed F2, entered the supervisor's password, and it DIDN'T bypass the bios this time. I was able to set everything back to default, and I am now looking at my new old desktop. I'm not sure why it worked but it worked and I greatly appreciate it. I'm about to test it with the graphics card inserted again to see if it's fully fixed.

• Shippo273

Yes, everything is back to normal. Can't thank you enough.

• IronFly

ok, so please update your BIOS to the latest version 1.10

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.10_A_A.zip?acerid=635960424469495308&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=PREDATOR&Step3=PREDATOR%20G9-791&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

it worked because Legacy and no CD drive frooze the BIOS. Smiley Happy

You welcome and please...prior to switch back to Legacy to install an OS, check if it's UEFI compliant, if so...use Rufus to create a bootable EFI complatible USB media from the iso file.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

just set it as on home page screenshot

• Shippo273

That's interesting and a new problem I haven't seen before. I appreciate the lesson. I'm pretty sure I'm stupid enough to attempt the install again, after I update the BIOS.