Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Adding second drive to ATC-780

gcolegcole Posts: 5Member

I just purchased an ATC-780-UR61 along with a standard 2.5" ssd that I was going to add as a second drive as the boot disk and use the 1tb drive for storage. I now understand that there are only 2 SATA connectors on the motherboard - one used by the 1tb drive and 1 by the dvd drive.

Is it possible to add a second drive to this PC? I've read some other models include a M.2 connector to add an ssd drive to, but I don't see any documentation that the ATC-780 has this.

Best Answer

• IronFlyIronFly Posts: 18,394 Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer

i can confirm:

NGFFM1 M.2 SSD connector

it's on the right side of the motherboard, near the 2 SATA ports.

I'm not an Acer employee.

FAQ & Answers

• be patient, i just asked for more detailed specs about your model.

• IronFlyIronFly Posts: 18,394ACE Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer

i can confirm:

NGFFM1 M.2 SSD connector

it's on the right side of the motherboard, near the 2 SATA ports.

• gcolegcole Posts: 5Member

Thank you IronFly.

Looking at M.2 SATAIII SSD's, it looks like they come in two lengths - 42mm and 80mm. Can you confirm the size that fits the ATC-780? I would assume it would be the 80mm. I should be reciving this system tomorrow and would like to have an ssd ready to go in.

Thank you for your help.

• 2280, so 80mm

For those that may look at this in the future, there is indeed an M.2 SATAIII 2280 connector in this computer. I added this Crucial MX300 275GB SSD (CT275MX300SSD4) and it is working great.

location1.JPG

location.JPG

• mikletmiklet Posts: 33Member Enthusiast

If a motherboard manual is found, please share it with more of us.

I bought the ATC-780-AMZi5 from Amazon. There is no reference to that Acer machine on the website, no help from the support pages.

Regrets....

I have seen a photo of the motherboard in the reviews section of Amazon

There appear to be two screw mounts by the M.2 connector, serving either size of SSD card.

Can you confirm the pin count of the RAM module?

is it 240-pin or 288-pin?

NGFF = Next Generation Form Factor

M1 = ?

Might you be able to comment on the "M1" piece?

just purchase the very same drive

where did you get a hold down screw from?

do you know what the size is?

did you use a regular screw driver? or did you have access to a ESD screw driver?

Miklet, the motherboard has mounting post set for the longer m.2 drive. It looks like there is a spot you could move the post to for the shorter drive, but I assume you would need to remove the motherboard to move it.

I can't confirm the pin count on the ram, but is something I would like to verify for a future ram upgrade - although at this point I haven't had issues with the included 8gb.

Two mounting screws were included with the ssd drive I purchased, so I'm unsure of the size.

This is the SSD I bought - Crucial MX300 M.2 2280 275GB TLC Internal Solid State Drive CT275MX300SSD4

Hope I get a mounting screw.

Here is a photo of the RAM in my machine

I counted the pins on the RAM - 288-pins, 144 per side x2

Acer ATC-780 AMZi5 8GB RAM.jpg

This machine came with 8GB 2400Mhz DIMM, but the Task Manager/Memory showed the system speed of 2133

All the same, the best price I could find for 32GB RAM (2x16GB) was at Newegg, I bought 2 of these;CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Memory (Desktop Memory) Model CMK16GX4M1A2400C16

• THEGUY58THEGUY58 Posts: 1Member

Does anyone know if you can upgrade the psu to a atx psu? needing info of the size of the psu dimensions wise,brand,watts,ratings,and what connectors it has. Thanks for the help. Smiley Happy 

• c-looc-loo Posts: 1Member

For those that may look at this in the future, there is indeed an M.2 SATAIII 2280 connector in this computer. I added this Crucial MX300 275GB SSD(CT275MX300SSD4) and it is working great.

In your 2nd picture there looks to be a mounting screw in the longest (left-most) whole.  Is that true?  If so, what kind of screw is that?

medium.jpg

That is a standoff to support the end of the SSD - similar to this:

standoff.jpg

The SSD that I purchased came with a screw that fit perfectly.

• gbtxgbtx Posts: 1Member

I was disappointed to find my new ATC-780A-UR11 didn't have a spare connector for adding a second hard drive, finding this forum with other replies confirming just the two 2 SATA connectors.  (My case did come with a slot labeled HDD2 and the power supply cable had the extra connector)

I'm thinking of going about this a slightly different way as I can't recall the last time I used a CD or DVD... I'm going to use the second SATA connector for another hard drive instead, and get an external USB DVD player for those rare times I need it.

Eventually I'll get an SSD, using the M.2 2280 slot as also suggested here.

• trail_ramblertrail_rambler Posts: 3Member

So, you connect a cable from the M.2 to the SSD? What cable? Or do you need another hardware interface?I haven't been able to find the answer.

• trail_rambler wrote:

So, you connect a cable from the M.2 to the SSD? What cable? Or do you need another hardware interface?I haven't been able to find the answer.

No, you have to buy a M.2 SATA SSD similar to this to install in the M.2 slot. As an example:

Capture.JPG

Please don't click "Like" but click "Yes" for "Did this answer the question", if I resolve the problem.
  • trail_ramblertrail_rambler Posts: 3Member

I opened the computer and see the connector. But how do you connect the SSD to the M.2 SATAIII 2280 connector? I've looked and looked and I haven't been able to find a cable for this.

• trail_rambler wrote:

I opened the computer and see the connector. But how do you connect the SSD to the M.2 SATAIII 2280 connector? I've looked and looked and I haven't been able to find a cable for this.

You need to insert the SSD at an angle in to the slot(very similar to installing a memory module), push down at the end very gently and tighten with a screw.

Capture.JPG

Please don't click "Like" but click "Yes" for "Did this answer the question", if I resolve the problem.