Acer Aspire V3-372t-5051 - Issues with USB Ports

wildcard55
wildcard55 Member Posts: 2 New User

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire notebook. The notebook has four USB ports with two on the left side (1-3.0 USB, 1-3.0 USB-C) and two on the right (2-2.0 USB). My main interest for the USB ports is to plug in a wireless mouse (some little known Chinese brand) and keyboard (Logitech K360). When external devices are plugged into the USB ports, all of them recognize the device. Using my old laptop, on all the USB ports (both 2.0 & 3.0 USB), the range on both are very good, probably close to 30 feet. When using them with the Acer laptop, the range is normal when plugged into the 3.0 USB port on the left side. However, when plugged into either of the 2.0 USB ports on the right side, the range is limited to a couple feet.

I've tried the keyboard with my work laptop and the range works fine. I have also purchased another Logitech keyboard to test out. With that keyboard, the range was fine and I tested it on all three computers on all the USB ports. Once again, the only ports that they did not have range beyond a couple feet were the two USB ports on the right side of the Acer Aspire laptop.

On numerous occasions, I've tried talking to customer support and they refuse to believe that it could be a hardware or software issue and that it has to be the fault of the external devices (bad USB dongle). However, in my view that is aboslutely a load of ***** considering that both keyboards work on every other port of the computers I tested them with.

If anyone has any possible solutions or explanation for this issue, I would be truly greatful. Thanks!

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

Well, I expect both the keyboard and mouse to work on 2.4 Ghz.

So, if I understood correctly the ports are 2.0. Are you sure about this? Because there is a known issue that any USB 3.0 device, plugged in in a USB 3.0 port generates a 2.4 interface. What does this mean? If you have two USB 3.0 ports close together and you plug in a USB thumbdrive (3.0) and a wireless mouse, the range will be reduced dramatically, due to the interface. This is a known fact and intel has a technical paper about this.

But since you are sure that those are 2.0 ports this should not be an issue. I would suspect the following:

The receivers are too close together and due to interference the range is reduced.

Second: As I saw on some pictures, on the right side is an SSD and the wifi card, and the antenna for the wifi. Well, wifi works at 2.4 Ghz, thus can generate interference which will reduce the range of the wireless devices. My suggestion is to turn on airplane mode, (disable all wifi) and try one device at the time and see if the range is improving. If yes, acer has a bad design, and positioning of the antenna (not the first time when happens Smiley Happy) ).

The last idea which would come to my mind, very unlikely, is that a USB 2.0 is able to provide max 500 mAh, and the receiver needs more power, to have higher range, and the 3.0 port is able to supply up to 2 Ah thus is able to provide the required power. But I doubt this, because I think you tested the devices in other USB 2.0 ports from other notebooks, and also I highly doubt that a dongle is able to use more than 500 mAh.

• wildcard55
    wildcard55 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks so much for the thoughtful answer. You make a lot of interesting points.

Yes, to my knowledge the ports on the right side that aren't working are USB 2.0 ports since they are not blue like the USB port is that's located on the left side.

Based on your assessment, if I'm understanding correcly, it could potentially be caused by one or both of these: (1) the two USB 2.0 ports on the right side being too close together and (2) the wifi antenna causing interference.

I'll go ahead and try your suggestion of disabling the wifi and checking the range. IMO, the two possibilities you pointed out do seem like they are likely the issue but I do have a few further questions if you would be so kind to reply:  
    (1) Could it possibly be a power issue of the ports not getting enough voltage?
    (2) Besides the driver for the USB controller being out-of-date, could there be any other software issues that could be the culprit.
    (3) If its either of the things you suggested, are there any reasonable remedies? (i.e. Disabling one of the USB 2.0 ports?)

Once again, thanks so much for your informative answer and any further info would be greatly appreciated!

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

(1) Well I can never exclude this issue unless you measure the voltage at the port. You can also check in device manager at universal serial bus controllers, and check the USB hub at which your receiver is connected. You can right click on each hub ---> properties---> power ---> here it will tell you what device is connected and how much power it needs.

(2). I don't think there could be software interference, or software which would cause this issue. You can always try to exclude this by running for example ubuntu from a live USB, and see if the devices work as expected in Ubuntu. but I would doubt, unless the problem would be the wireless, and ubuntu would be unable to install the drivers for your wireless card.

(3) If the wifi it's the issue, one solution would be to switch to 5Ghz frequency, if your card and router supports. This will eliminate the interference on 2.4 Ghz. If the problem is that the two receivers are plugged next to each other, and they cause interference between them, putting one receiver on one side and the other on another side would solve the issue. If these things are not the issue which causes the problem, I have no idea what to suggest.