XB271HK and 10 bit color

Options
rderouss
rderouss Member Posts: 2 New User

I have a GTX 1070 and this monitor. Seems like I should be able to see a 10 bit color option in the nvidia control panel, but I do not. Tried 2 different display port cables. 

Anyone know definitively or have this monitor working with 10 bit option selected?

Answers

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru
    Options

The GTX 1070 predator monitor has a 8 bit color option. It is not a 10 bit.

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • rderouss
    rderouss Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

But the tech specs on all sites including your own here http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-model/UM.HX1AA.002 say that the monitor can do 1.07 Billion colors or that its 10 bit. 

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru
    Options

If you prefer you could send me a PM with the serial number so i can check further.

The link you sent is related to the Model XB271HK bmiprz Part Number: UM.HX1AA.002.

The specifications can vary by model.

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • billt79
    billt79 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi,

I have the same moniter, slightly different part number and the same issue. I have a gtx 1080 and i have bought a higher quality cable also.

No option for 10-bit is in nvidia control panel. Model number is UM.HX1EE.001 and the listing doesnt actually state if its 10-bit or not, please could you confirm?

• pindol
    pindol Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Same problem with my monitor XB271HK model number UM.HX1EE.001

I will check the UM.HX1EE.001 is for the european market and the UM.HX1AA.002 is for the US and Canada market, but is the same model with 1.07bilion color.

Other user have this problem also with the 4k 32" monitor.

Anyone has solve this problem? I bought this monitor not only for play games but also to see HDR film etc.

this is a big problem for Acer customers

Pindol

• pindol
    Options

XB271HK

this is the official tech specs (Italian ACER official site) of XB271HK model UM.HX1EE.001, as you can see in "colori supportati" (supported colors) you can read 1.07b (1.07 billion)

https://it-store.acer.com/predator-xb1-monitor-gaming-xb271hkbmiprz

Pindol

• pindol
    Options

After hours of searching i found the problem,

the XB271HK like Asus PG27AQ is not a true 10-bit monitors, but it can display 1.07bilion color, in which way?

The true 10-bit monitor are very rare and expensive (like EIZO ColorEdge), most of this monitor (and TV) use the 8bit + FRC.

From TFTCentral:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Dithering and Frame Rate Control (FRC)

Dithering and Frame Rate Control (FRC) relate to the colour depth of a monitor panel and are technologies used to boost the colours which the matrix can display. For instance TN Film screens are traditionally more economical than other technologies when it comes to colour depth. In fact, they only display 64 red, 64 blue and 64 true green shades by default through pixel rotations. The maximum amount of colours achievable from liquid crystal rotation alone is 262,144. In order to reach 16 million colours and above, panel manufacturers commonly use two technologies: Dithering and Frame Rate Control (FRC). These terms are often interchanged, but strictly can mean different things.

• Spatial Dithering - This dithering method involves assigning appropriate colour values from the available colour palette to close-by pixels in such a way that it gives the impression of a new colour tone which otherwise could not have been created at all. In doing so, there complex mappings according to which the ground colours are mutually assigned, otherwise it could result in colour noise / dithering noise. Dithering can be used to allow 6-Bit panels, like TN Film, to show 16.2 million perceived colours. This can however sometimes be detectable to the user, and can result in chessboard like patterns being visible in some cases. Spatial dithering is rarely used in the modern market and instead Frame Rate Control is more widely utilised.

• Frame Rate Control / Temporal Dithering - The other method is Frame-Rate-Control (FRC), also referred to sometimes as temporal dithering. This works by combining four colour frames as a sequence in time, resulting in perceived mixture. In basic terms, it involves flashing between two colour tones rapidly to give the impression of a third tone, not normally available in the palette. This allows a total of 16.2 reproducible million colours in 6-bit TN Film matrices. FRC is also used to enhance the colour depth of 8-bit panels, boosting them from their standard 16.7 million colours to 1.07 billion in the case of "10-bit" panels (8-bit + FRC). There are a number of FRC algorithms which vary in their effectiveness. Sometimes, a twinkling artefact can be seen, particularly in darker shades, which is a side affect of such technologies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Pindol