ES1-311 Keyboard issue

stooper
stooper Member Posts: 4 New User

So I have a strange one for you today. About a week ago I booted up my Acer Aspire E13 ES1-311 running Windows 10 only to find I couldnt type my password. Slightly strange as I only used it the night before.

So I've tried several things. Uninstalling programs I'd installed recently to see if they were conflicting. I've searched the Acer website for drivers but cannot see any keyboard ones listed for my model. I have however updated the Cipset drivers to no avail. I've used a restore point to when it worked. Nada.

So the two strange things for me.

1) The Fn keys still work. I can change the volume and brightness on the keyboard and all the other usual stuff.

2) The full keyboard works in BIOS. I can enter BIOS and I can type everything. Only when I get to the Windows Log On does the keyboard become a spare part.

So what else can I try?!

Best Answer

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

Have you upgraded your Win 10 to the Anniversary eddition yet? If not, that might solve the issue. Also, if you haven't upgraded the bios to version 1.11.

Answers

• Try this:

Shut it off and unplug it. Turn it over and find the tiny hole in the bottom. With a paperclip, gently press into the hole until you feel a faint click and hold it for 5 seconds. Plug it in and try it.

• stooper

Thank you for the reply, unfortuantely this has not solved the issue. 

• Try using a usb keyboard and see if it works.

• stooper
    Yes, a USB keyboard does work
  • philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

Have you upgraded your Win 10 to the Anniversary eddition yet? If not, that might solve the issue. Also, if you haven't upgraded the bios to version 1.11.

• stooper

Whilst not the direct solution, you seem to have led me to the correct issue. 

I did alreayd have Windows 10 Anniversary however where I could check for updates there was a 'Reset My PC' option. Using the one that kept my files, I have reinstalled Windows and now I am typing from my Notebook keyboard. Many thanks!