Acer Predator 17: Keyboard stopped responding. Turned off and did not shut down

Options
Ice9
Ice9 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited September 2023 in Predator Laptops

I was playing Overwatch and the keyboard stopped responding. I got kicked out and decided to shut down PC for the night with the mouse still working. 

Once I shut down the screen turned off, but the power button and side profile lights remained on. They have been on for the last two days and I can't turn on PC.

I've tried holding power buttton for a while, but nothing happens. The laptop has power as it can charge my phone. It does not turn on or respond to any buttons. Is there something I can do? I'm guessing it might work when the battery drains, but will this be an issue moving forward?

Answers

• BigShoe
    BigShoe Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Same problem happened today to me. Laptop now only just under 2 months old... well, good to know I'm not the only one with this issue I suppose.

• beststevie
    Options

I had this undefined state once within 8 months after cleaning the keyboard.

You can reset it by presseing the battery pin or you can open the back door ... it turns of immedeately.

• sda87f6g87as
    sda87f6g87as Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Same issue here, Acer Predator 15. Did you guys find a fix ? I'm taking it to service on tomorrow, the laptop was bought 1 month ago.

• braescuteo
    braescuteo Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Hello. Today I had the same problem.

Bought a new Acer Predator 17, it's almost one month old and today the keyboard stopped working.

Only Acer power button and gaming keys remained with lights on. I tried powering off the laptop with mouse, from windows but it remained on. I removed AC power and removed back cover for upgrade and it shutted down.

Please try to fix this problem, is very annoying for a new and expensive laptop.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

which Predator 17 model?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • braescuteo
    Options

My Predator is G5-793-79A3 (i7-6700HQ, GTX 1060 6Gb). (LE: part number NH.Q1HEX.006)

I was browsing in Chrome when it happened. It's like in the first post, nothing worked when i pressed keyboards, even keeping power button pressed. I made a search on my phone and google sent me to this post.

Using latest Bios v. 1.09 and windows 10.

• Truesonic45
    Truesonic45 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Has anyone solved this issue? My laptop is about 6 weeks old and this just happened. Keybaord suddenly stopped working, power button wouldn't shut down the computer, only mouse responded. Then, when using Windows to shut down, the monitor turns off but EVERYTHING else stays on. Backlights for keyboard, hotkeys and the like. Even power button light. Fans, everything, still running. Had to open the access panel on the underside just to get it to turn off. I've got the Acer Predator 17 with the GTX 1070. Very expensive to have this issue. Is there a fix? Any response from Acer? There is no way they don't know about this.

No way at all.
  • Muskrat
    Muskrat Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

my botton left keys dont work and will make a weird sound at random times when i try using it. i checked all my settings and the keys work on the screen keyboard. this  laptop was alot of money and I would really like for it to work as it should. Can anyone help me with this or know what I can do to fix it?

• Demona
    Demona Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

My sons Predator done this exact same thing when the computer was just 5 months old. Before it stopped working it kept crashing and closing its programs. So he done a factory reset. 2 days after the reset was done the keypad and mouse pad stopped responding. He was able to get it to power down but when it restarted only some lights on the side of the keyboard worked and the screen DID NOT come back on. Ticked off I call acer and found out how to fix this issue.. 

HOW TO FIX THE ISSUE

Flip your laptop over.. on the back of the laptop next to your SNID plate is a small pin hole witha hard to see battery symbol next to it.. You will need to use a needle to push in that pin hole WHILE you hold the power button. Once your computer shuts down.. use the power button to restart it. 

This fixed my sons laptop and he is now happliy enjoying his system again!

• hassimreza
    hassimreza Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Acer Predator 17: Keyboard stopped responding. Turned off and did not shut down

I was playing Overwatch and the keyboard stopped responding. I got kicked out and decided to shut down PC for the night with the mouse still working. 

Once I shut down the screen turned off, but the power button and side profile lights remained on. They have been on for the last two days and I can't turn on PC.

I've tried holding power buttton for a while, but nothing happens. The laptop has power as it can charge my phone. It does not turn on or respond to any buttons. Is there something I can do? I'm guessing it might work when the battery drains, but will this be an issue moving forward?

• braescuteo
    Options

Hello @hassimreza,

Remove the cover under the laptop, the one with access to HDD and RAM.

When you remove the cover, the laptop will be forced to shut down.

Someone at ACER, please find a solution to this, a bios update or something.

• AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

I can't believe people are posting without even reading the workaround in this thread...I mean come on....reset the Battery using the pinhole or just simpler remove the service door by unscrewing the 2 retaining screws.

READ THE PRIOR POSTS!

Man LOL

• Truesonic45
    Truesonic45 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    That solution is only temporary. It only solves the symptoms of the problem, not the problem itself. We want to know WHY this happens and HOW to make sure it doesn't happen AGAIN.

Maybe you could tell us?
  • AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

You're not going to solve an issue like this most of the time on a Forum...My guess it will be addressed in a bios update in the future.  If you read the posts on this topic (here and on the interwebs) you will find that many times this is a one-off occurence that may not happen again.

Sometimes controlling the symptoms are all that needs to be done...

Reposting the same question over and over  that has a verified work around already posted is really just wasting people's time...like mine right now.

Want to solve your problem?...reset the battery or unscrew the rear service access door.

Have a nice day.

• Demona
    Demona Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I highly agree with AVJim, STOP posting the same question WITHOUT taking the time to read what has been posted already which does involve 2 means of getting around this issue. I am tired of my email being blown up over this. A true fix will HOPEFULLY come with an update.. but until then DO NOT ask how to fix it or what to do because it is already here and all you have to do is read and follow directions. Please and thank you

• BakkaChi
    BakkaChi Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi everyone. This post might be old but i wanted to share my experience. I have a Acer Predator G9-793. I was playing when my keyboard shut down on me. Had to close the game through controls. saw i couldnt type in search bar either so I restarted my laptop. and halfway through shutdown it froze. They keyboard led wouldnt turn off. I had to flip the laptop and open its case. when i did the laptop automatically turned it off. then i rebooted and it works fine now. Seems it happens with most predator models according to this post. Good luck to all hoped this help even a bit.
  • Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    -BakkaChi said:
    Hi everyone. This post might be old but i wanted to share my experience. I have a Acer Predator G9-793. I was playing when my keyboard shut down on me. Had to close the game through controls. saw i couldnt type in search bar either so I restarted my laptop. and halfway through shutdown it froze. They keyboard led wouldnt turn off. I had to flip the laptop and open its case. when i did the laptop automatically turned it off. then i rebooted and it works fine now. Seems it happens with most predator models according to this post. Good luck to all hoped this help even a bit.
    Check what version of BIOS you have my G9 793 on BIOS version 1.13 has never had a problem.  If you decide to update the BIOS ensure the file is 100% correct for your system and you clear about the procedure.

Q-6

• movibeast
    movibeast Member Posts: 23 Networker
    Options
    Ice9 said:

I've tried holding power buttton for a while, but nothing happens. The laptop has power as it can charge my phone. It does not turn on or respond to any buttonss. Is there something I can do? I'm guessing it might work when the battery drains, but will this be an issue moving forward?

Same issue!!! My Laptop now only just under 2 months old.

• muzixa
    muzixa Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    Well, this happens with my G9-793 to (1.13 BIOS). Twice.
    The only solution battery reset, it seems acer don't want comment this problem, unfortunately.

Updated to 1.14  BIOS will check it.
  • Emman2002
    Emman2002 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi 
    I bought a Helios 300 about a year ago
    And only experience one problem
    My left shift key is not responding 
    I really need help with this because I'm really afraid that the other keys may not respond when I press it

This discussion has been closed.