Acer E5-573 USB 2.0 Port Not Working With External HardDrive

Options
TJMC10
TJMC10 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

I have the acer E5-573 , i bought it recently and i also got an external hard drive with a 3.0 cable . 

the thing thats bugging me is it wont work when i plug it in the usb 2.0 port and i cant figure out why , i have been searching all day and ive also unchecked ' allow computer to turn off to save power ' in the properties tab in device manager and it wont work.. ive charged my phone + used flashdrives and this external hard drive wont work .

it does work when i use the 3.0 port, maybe it doesnt have enough power?? i dont know . Smiley Sad

maybe someone can help me..thanks

Answers

• philetus
    Options

The 2.0 does work with usb drives, phones, etc. but not the external drive you have?

Have you used the drive before on 2.0?

The drive does work on 3.0?

• TJMC10
    TJMC10 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

It worked once with the 2.0 when i unchecked a box on the Device Manager but since then it hasnt.

ive always used the drive on the 3.0 but i wanted to know why it doesnt work on the 2.0 if its just not powerful enough to handle it or is there something i have to do ??

thanks

• philetus
    Options

An external HDD probably needs more power than a flash drive, phone,etc.

I saw one comment, it a external drive is getting old it might not get enough from a 2.0.

If the drive IS a 3.0 drive, you would want it in 3.0 for the speed.

I found some interesting info on 3.0. http://usb3pcicard.com/usb-3-0-outputs-more-power-than-usb-2-0/

Another suggestion is to try starting the computer with the drive already plugged into usb 2.0.

I never paid that much attention to the difference except that it was faster for 3.0 enabled drives and the port on the left side was handier. Now I know another reason I always plug my external drive into 3.0.

This should also cause less stress on the 2.0 port.

• VIKKU
    VIKKU Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hey somebody please help me. I bought an acer E5-573 laptop about an year ago. Recently it stopped detecting pendrives I inserted into the USB ports. In fact, the actual problem is that it detects the device, but it is not displayed in My Computer. I can eject the device using safe removal option, but the device is not shown or can not be explored.

Somebody please help me.

Thank you.