My aspire 3680-2022 (equipped with 512mb ram) is upgradeable to 4gb (using 2 each 2gb cards)

Options
danible
danible Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Removing the 512 mb card (slot 1) and replacing it with a 2gb card works fine.  Reinstalling the 512 mb card in slot 2 also works fine.  Replacing the 512 mb card in slot 2 with a 2nd 2gb card does not work.  The computer power light  comes on but only a black screen follows.  To verify that the 2nd 2 gb card is good I have replaced the 2 gb in slot 1 with the 2 gb that doesn't work is slot 2 and it works fine in slot 1.  The user's guide states upgrading ro 4 gb is permissible using 2 each 2gb cards.  Am I missing something?  HELP!

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

Best Answer

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

The max memory you can install is 2GB. You can use 1-2GB dimm or 2-1GB dimms.

• laurent_14
    Options

To complete the Philetus' reply:

According to the SG commun to Aspire 3680, 5570 and 5580 series:

• 256/512 MB of DDR2 533 MHz memory, upgradeable to 2 GB using two soDIMM modules (dual-channel support) (for Aspire 3680)
      I think you misunderstood the memory specifications. Philetus is right.
    France
  • danible
    Options

My "misunderstanding" is based upon the following - Quote "System memory  Up to 2 GB of DDR2 533/667 MHz system memory, upgradeable to 4 GB using two soDIMM modules (dual-channel support)" end quote.

• philetus
    Options

The user guide you have is wrong. 

• danible
    Options

Thanks to both of you

• laurent_14
    Options

danible wrote:

My "misunderstanding" is based upon the following - Quote "System memory  Up to 2 GB of DDR2 533/667 MHz system memory, upgradeable to 4 GB using two soDIMM modules (dual-channel support)" end quote.

These are the memory specifications of Aspire 5570 and 5580 series.

France
  • danible
    Options

Understood.  The Users Guide is applicable to four (4) machine series.  Thanks again.  I not have a spare/backup 2 GB module.

• danible
    Options

That is to say - i now have a spare/backup 2 GB module.

• TARTEJ
    TARTEJ Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Can I upgrade my Acer aspire 3680 2022 to 4g ram or it can only be upgraded to 2gb ram
  • TARTEJ
    Options
    TARTEJ said:
    Can I upgrade my Acer aspire 3680 2022 to 4g ram or it can only be upgraded to 2gb ram
    Plz help me as fast as possible 
  • TARTEJ
    Options
    Can I upgrade my Acer aspire 3680 2022 to Windows 7?????