Brand New G9-792-79VJ GTX980M faulty

Mohammed_H
Mohammed_H Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi Acer Community ,

TL;DR  Brand New Acer predator GTX980M got faulty after 1 week of usage and now I need help to remove it from motherboard in order to be able to use the PC again with integrated Graphic card only since I voided my Acer warranty due to the situation I was in.

My name is Mohammed from Iraq, I recently bought brand new Acer Predator G9-792-79VJ from Amazon authorized distributor . after 1 week of normal operating the Laptop display started to freeze and random BSOD (driver_irql_not_less_or_equal nvlddmkm.sys) is throwed .

Tried to recover using Acer Recovery got this BSOD during Drivers installation phase (video_scheduler_internal_error) and recovery will simply complain that it can't complete installation due to unexpected error .

Googling suggests to downgrade nvidia driver but I can't do that since existing OS is freezing after 1 min of operating and recovering is getting the BSOD mentioned above.

Acer support suggested to recover OS although I already told them that is not possible . (and still no reply)

Later I installed Windows from ISO not from Recovery and I was able to use PC until I installed nvidia Drivers . the issue started again . So I figured that the nvidia GPU is faulty . so I booted into Safe Mode and disabled nvidia from device maanger . and everything just worked fine on Intel 530 integrated graphic card .

I was so frustrated with this situation so I opened the bottom cover of the laptop to clean fans from dust and see if the issue is with cables, replaced CPU & GPU thermal paste (thought it could be overheat issue, and current thermal paste is not well enough)... but unfortunately none worked and issue persisted .

Now I need to use this PC for my work so I was wondering if anyone with knowledge can show me how to remove nvidia chip from motherboard so I can recover Windows using Acer recovery and with integrated graphic only .

Answers

• it's not the problem to remove it, it's more to get it working after it. I think, there's no way.

Maybe the Nviida card would have been able to be flashed for repair. But maybe it's too late. I also had an RMA because of video tdr failure BSODs. The nvkldm.sys can also occur because of software/driver errors. That's a problem, because an ordinary user cannot find reasons for the reseller to exchange it.

So you could only try to disable it by drivers.

I would suggest to give it one more try by a fresh install. I could advice my favorite drivers. After you could really be sure, if it does not work, that it is damaged.

Maybe you can aks for a payed repair?

• Mohammed_H
    Mohammed_H Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

just a quick a follow up and my kudos to Acer.

I shipped my laptop to Acer Repair Center @ Eberhard Rd TX. and they replaced the whole motherboard free of charge .

Thank you Acer Smiley Happy .

Highest Regards

Mohammed H