My HDD on my laptop got ruined,I cannot open my laptop .

kikof1
kikof1 Member Posts: 8 New User

HDD on my laptop got ruined,I cannot open my laptop .

I need to know if i buy another HDD what do i have to do to install windows if i do not have a disk...Is there a free windows where I can download it to my other Laptop and install it on my new HDD?/

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

What notebook do you have?

What does mean the HDD is not working? Because if you still can access the data, you can recover the files and also the OS.

Also what operating system did you have?

If you want an answer you should provide these details...

• kikof1

Soory Sharky,

Since i am a newbie non teckie i try to explain ...what is a OS...

• sharky25k

Hi,

An OS- Operating system. What windows you had on your notebook? Windows 10? Windows 8.1 or Windows 7? Because depending on the answer we can guide you where to download the windows. and how to install it, on your new hard disk.

• kikof1

it  had windows 10..... have a new disk, ..I am using an HP laptop Would you be so kind and guide me through the process of getting my daughters ACER going?

• sharky25k

Hi,

Well I don't know what notebook you have, so to install the new HDD I would suggest to try to search on youtube how to disassemble your specific notebook. Nowadays for almost any notebooks  you can find videos how to disassemble and change/upgrade some of the components.

With windows, it's quite simple.

Go here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download the media creation tool.

You will need a 4GB usb (or bigger).

Start the tool, click accept then select create installation media for another PC. Select the language and then select USB and wait for the tool to create the media.

After you mounted the new HDD, just plugin the USB which you created previously in the notebook, start the notebook and wait to boot the USB. Normally if you don't have any other bootable media, the USB should be booted.

If it does not boot, go in BIOS by pressing continuously F2 when the notebook starts and the acer logo appears.

Here go in the boot menu and change the boot order that the USB is the first. Save the settings and boot the USB.

For windows installation well, youtube is your friend. Follow the steps in  this video for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKbR6XT7fcA

You don't need any key, just hit next, the key for windows license is embedded in the BIOS, so windows it will activate itself when you will connect the notebook to the internet.

After install you should install the drivers for the notebook. I hope your notebook has windows 10 support.

Just  go to http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers and write in your notebook model and download the drivers for windows 10 (if available) and install them.

• kikof1

Got my acer going thanks for all the help..I reformated the drive and installed it on the ACER..It prompted me to restore to factory settings...i guess my daughter upgraded to a win 10 sometime ago..it retored it to 8.0 ..I am content with it as it stands...been a long day..If i need anymore help i will surely let you know..Thanks for everything ..My destop is Blank just a Trash Can icon ...will need furtehr instructoions on how to ge Microsoft office and other apps