New member with a V5-591G-55PV, but it's running hot...

janajmfa
janajmfa Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey all,

It seems that the V and VN series has problems with overheating. I've had no other issues with my new acer save that when I run my lower end steam games my V5-591G-55PV starts getting really hot, much hotter than I think it should. I found it odd that the computer says it has dedicated graphics but also has intel hd graphics installed as well, is that normal? I've updated the bios to the latest version and my graphics card is also at the latest version for the GTX 950M. I got this for my 3d printing and scanning business and I'm worried about it in the long term with that kind of heat when I'm running my programs. Any suggestions? If all else fails I can return it to Amazon.

Thanks!

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

What you understand by overheating, and running hot?

Can you tell us what temperatures, and if the fans are spinning? And of course what is the CPU and GPU load when you have those temperatures?

You can expect to run hot at full load on CPU and GPU since they have quite a high TDP.

There is no problem if they reach for example around 90 degrees, since they are made to handle these temperatures. Also the CPU and GPU have built mechanisms to avoid overheating to dangerous temperature levels. So you should not worry about this, unless you don't see the fans spinning.

Regarding the two graphics card it's perfectly normal. The intel one is in the CPU itself, and usually handles light tasks like for example video playback, browsing and so on, and the Nvidia one handles heavier tasks like for example video editing, gaming and so on. The reason is simple. The intel one is less powerful and uses less power so if you don't need the raw power of the dedicated GPU this can help you to save battery life.

• janajmfa
    janajmfa Member Posts: 2 New User

It turns out that some of my steam games were set to use the Intel graphics instead of the Nvidia processor. I went to the Nvidia control panel and under manage 3D settings, changed the global settings to Highend Performance Nvidia processor. All of the smaller stuff under program settings (Skype, Mozilla, VLC, Netflix, etc) is still set to use integrated graphics, but now all my 3d programs and steam games will use the Nvidia processor. I also took the precaution of disabling Intel Turbo Boost as it might also come into play and I doubt I'll ever need it.

sharky25k wrote:

Hi,

What you understand by overheating, and running hot?

Can you tell us what temperatures, and if the fans are spinning? And of course what is the CPU and GPU load when you have those temperatures?

You can expect to run hot at full load on CPU and GPU since they have quite a high TDP.

There is no problem if they reach for example around 90 degrees, since they are made to handle these temperatures. Also the CPU and GPU have built mechanisms to avoid overheating to dangerous temperature levels. So you should not worry about this, unless you don't see the fans spinning.

Regarding the two graphics card it's perfectly normal. The intel one is in the CPU itself, and usually handles light tasks like for example video playback, browsing and so on, and the Nvidia one handles heavier tasks like for example video editing, gaming and so on. The reason is simple. The intel one is less powerful and uses less power so if you don't need the raw power of the dedicated GPU this can help you to save battery life.