Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Do I need to replace the hdd in my Acer Aspire All-In-One 5600U?

csbtrodcsbtrod Posts: 6Member New User

I have an Acer Aspire All-In-One 5600U. The other day the power in our home went out due to a storm. After it came back on and I went to use my computer, the screen was black and said "Reboot and select proper boot device . . .". I tried downloading the media creation tool to a USB and booting up using this. I can get into the Troubleshooting menu but nothing works. When I attempt to do a custom install of Windows , it says "no signed device drivers were found". Is this a hard drive problem? In the BIOS, under Boot Options is does not list a specific hard drive. It just says "hard drive". Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Best Answer

• csbtrodcsbtrod Posts: 6Member New User
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Appreciate the help, IronFly.

Answers

• IronFlyIronFly Posts: 17,469ACE Trailblazer

on BIOS, check under SATA devices or main screen if your HDD model is listed, if not, your HDD is gone.

I'm not an Acer employee.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
    Thanks for the reply IronFly. No HDD model listed. With which brand/model/type of hard drive would I replace the original if I chose to do so? Thanks again for any info.

It depends if you model had the SSD or HDD/Hybrid.

by the way, any new SSD will work, so it's worth to upgrade to something faster too, like Samsung EVO 850 2.5"

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Appreciate the help, IronFly.
    You welcome.

this is a 3.5" and as far as i know you can fit only 2.5".

by the way, you need to check what's installed on your 5600U first.

Thanks again, IronFly. 

• SnuffySnuffy Posts: 146Member
    I have several ACER AIOs that 2 have a 3.5" HDD and the other has a 2.5" HDD. so before i would buy something, take it apart and check to see what the HDD is. also check the HDD connection cable. I have fixed more than 1 AIO that the CABLE simply worked loose due to the cable did not have a CLIP to hold in place and 1 was rather short, so I replaced it with a longer cable and with clips to held in place. now you can get a adapter to use a 2.5" in the 3.5' slot, but no way can you use a 3.5" in the 2.5" version. unless you want to remove the DVD and use that adapter.

Thanks Snuffy! Yes, I ended up taking it apart before I ordered anything. It had a 2.5" HDD that I replaced with a 2.5" sshd. All is working well. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to recover any of the files off of my old drive. Live and learn!

• SnuffySnuffy Posts: 146Member
    There are many good FREE Recovery Programs with which to takes time to Recovery Many files, I spend over 8 hrs doing a 2 TB for a Client.
  • VictourVictour Posts: 8Member New User

Had my Z5600 apart today and it has a 1 t HD 3.5