Stylus/pen W700P question

Options
StoneRyno
StoneRyno Member Posts: 39 New User

I'm curious about getting a stylus or pen for my W700P. I'm running windows 10 pro anniversary update. I know almost nothing about them. Other than I got a couple free ones that are no better than a substitute for my finger as the end is a rubber like smooshy thing that has no better precision that using my finger. Back in the old palm device days I loved the pen like stylus the devices used. And miss having that with my tablet and smartphone (LG G4 with android 6.x). Not sure if whatever I get will work with both or not. Anyone have info or suggestions for me? Thanks.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

It will work fine with the style you describe, the blunt rubber tip type that simulates your finger. It will not work with the fine tip style and may or may not work with the ones that have a flat, clear crosshair tip.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StoneRyno
    Options

The reason I would get one is for better accuracy than my finger tip can achieve. The free ones I have don't really achieve that. Ideally one that is like a pen like the old palm days before smartphones would about as precise as I could ever imagine needing. Plus it would allow me to use the writing input option of the keyboard instead of typing on the virtual keyboard. Perhaps there is a comprehensive list of compatability for these so I can see what my options are? As I'm assuming if a specific material has to be on the tip for it to work then a tip no matter how small with that material would work. I just don't have the time to weed out any that don't fit that. Assuming that there are all sorts of different ones.

• billsey
    Options

Search for Active Capacitive Stylus, you want something that can act like a finger yet be tiny. Here's one example.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StoneRyno
    Options

My W700P came with one that looks similar to the one linked. Its a soft rubber like disc on the end. I tried it several times since I bought the W700P (2-3 years ago). But it fails to work acceptably in drag and drop scenarios and handwritting. And I assume any other task involving dragging it on the screen would also suffer the same. After taking some time to look around I have found some that look like they would be designed to work well but would need to know if they will work with the W700P and if they do which one would be the best one to get. Unless the pictures are deceiving they look like ink pens sized tips. They are as follows:

Adonit Dash

Adonit Pixel

Wacom Intuos (Not quite as fine a point as the others)

Wacom Bamboo Fineline 2

Wacom Bamboo Smart: http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/stylus/bamboo-smart-for-samsung-galaxy-note and http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/stylus/bamboo-smart-for-select-tablets-and-2in1

Wacom Bamboo Omni

• billsey
    Options

I believe pretty much anything with the very thin tip will not work well. What you need is the type that has a wide transparent tip with battery power.

• StoneRyno
    Options

billsey wrote:

I believe pretty much anything with the very thin tip will not work well. What you need is the type that has a wide transparent tip with battery power.

I think several of the ones I linked are battery powered. Assuming battery power makes a difference with one exactly like the one you linked in a previous post. As I said what I need is accuracy and the ability to write using the hadwriting virtual keyboard and even write within apps that support using a stylus or what appears to be a trend of calling them pens with this ink feature of windows. I have a couple with a wide half sphere squishy rubber tip and they don't offer better accuracy that my fingers. And using certain apps finer point accuracy is needed. Also as previously mentioned the one I have like the one that you linked to will tap things ok but it's accuracy is as bad as using my finger as well. And due to the design of the tip is impossible to use to write with. The results of trying to do so with it looks like as if i was writing on paper and lifting the pen of the paper several times in the stoke of writing each letter so only parts of the letter are written. Suposedly all these design styles that look like inkpens with the finer tips are great for handwriting and drawning using tablets. But none of the info I can find out there really tell you enought about them to know if they work with every tablet. The manufacturers don't even supply enough compatability info.

• billsey
    Options

The capacitive touch screens need a larger surface or a stronger field to register. That means you either have to have something finger-like in size or finger-like in strength. Either way doesn't give you the fine accuracy I believe you are looking for. The advantage to the pens I've been describing is that you can see where the center of the touch is, allowing finer control. You still won't get the accuracy that the screens designed for the fine tips styluses have. I have a Switch Alpha 12 in addition to my W700 and it uses an active pen, with the fine tip, or my fingers and is much more accurate when using the pen than when using my finger.