How to disassemble the keyboard dock of ACER Iconia W510

stefpen
stefpen Member Posts: 10 New User
edited October 2023 in 2018 Archives

Some keys on the keyboard of my ACER Iconia W510 are stuck so the computer cannot be used. The possible reason is humidity and dust. I have to open the docking and clean the keyboard. I need instructions how to open the docking after removing the screws. Thank you.

Answers

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

You could contact the support in your region and see what are your options for repair if your Tablet is out of warranty.

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • stefpen

Dear Acer-Karp

Thank you for your message, which I received after 1 week.

I am disappointed by this reply, which is neither an answer to the question "How to...", nor is helpful.

I hoped to receive a link or a file, showing me the way to solve my problem.

I cannot contact ACER support in China, because this model is not sold in this country and the service personnel are far from being helpful. So instead of receiving a short guide how to disassemble the dock and clean the keyboard I have to go to Taiwan, stay in hotels there for a couple of days (hopefully!) while waiting the dock to be repaired, which will cost me more than the price of a new laptop. And this is insane.

I don't believe that opening the dock is a secret for ACER and I cannot understand the motives behind your reply.

I remain totally dissatisfied.

• Bavega
    Bavega Member Posts: 30 Troubleshooter

The Iconia W510 is for most people no longer under warranty, so having said that you will void any warranty and might risk doing more damage et cetera. I understand that manufacturers do not help customers opening up their products and prefer to have them send them in for repair.

Have you tried removing the screws that are visible from the bottom? If I remember correctly, I saw a screw under one of the rubber pads that came loose long, long ago. You might need to remove the rubber stripes in order to find the all screws. From there it should be pretty straightforward. Be careful though, so yo do not damage any leads.

• stefpen

Hello, Bavega

Thank you for your reply.

I can remove the screws, but the bottom is still firmly fixed. Probably I need some of these plastic openers from iFixit, but I don't have the time and there's noone around that can help. As you said ACER technicians 'do not help customers opening up their products and prefer to have them send them in for repair'. I would do the same if it was possible, but in my case it is not. This model is not sold in China and the ACER authorized staff just shrug their shoulders.

Anyway, thank you for your response.

• dvschuetz
    dvschuetz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello stefpen,
    your post is quite a while ago, but today I had the same problem and fount the solution.
    Under the long rubber stand are additional two screws which need to be removed. Look at the photo.