Aced iconia tab 8 810 forgot password

Options
brt1919
brt1919 Member Posts: 5 New User

My mum has bought an Iconia Tab 8 W1-810-15XS tablet running windows 10. And yes, she's forgotten her password despite setting a prompt. She has no data worth keeping so simplest thing is to do a factory reset I think.  However, I'm not getting any joy with it coming up with the boot up screen seen on a few recommendations when using the volume/power buttons as suggested.

Instead I'm getting a set up with Information/Main/Security/Boot & Exit. Under Security there is an option for Restore Boot to factory settings, however I've no idea how to change/run this as the touch screen doesn't let me alter it

any help will be appreciated, thank you

Best Answer

• brt1919
    Answer ✓
    Options

Solved in the end by buying an adapter so could use a normal keyboard to connect & hold down shift to reset all settings

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Options

If she is logging in to her Microsoft account, she can use their web interface to reset her password.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • brt1919
    Options

Thank you but afraid not, it's the windows password onto the tablet. She even used the reminder prompt when creating it & still can't remember it !

• billsey
    Options

Not a lot of choices then, Google a command line that enables the built-in Administrator account (disabled by default) and log in with that account, then reset her password.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • brt1919
    Options
  • brt1919
    Options

I can't work out how I can do much at all on the tablet - the only thing I've seen is a possible option to purchase an adapter that would allow a usb with a boot option to perhaps boot it from.

the odd thing is everywhere I've looked, when you turn on with the volume/power buttons, you get the option to to a factory reset, but on hers it's a system set up utility as in the image above, but I can't amend the password options?

thank you

• billsey
    Options

What you are showing with the picture is the BIOS settings, not the OS. Windows user accounts use different passwords than the BIOS does. Try booting with the shift key held down to see if you can get more options from Windows.

• brt1919
    Answer ✓
    Options

Solved in the end by buying an adapter so could use a normal keyboard to connect & hold down shift to reset all settings