Is it safe to use graphic drivers not from acer website?

Options
luxieree
luxieree Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

Acer's graphics drivers are a tad bit outdated so I'm trying to update the driver using the ones from Intel. But, since it's not a validated driver from Acer, I am wondering if it's fine to update my drivers without any repercussions. I'm trying to upgrade it to Beta Graphics Driver (Beta 15.40.26.4474). 

I have an Intel HD Graphics 5500. 

Answers

• benton582
    benton582 Member Posts: 213 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

It isn't too unsafe, but you still should use drivers from Acer. And sometimes it auto-reverts back because of a vendor lock. But why would you want to do this?

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

It's safe and sometimes is even recommended, especially when the "manufacturer recommended" driver is buggy, as in some cases mentioned on this forum (but not for intel hd graphics 5500),

Here is the more detailed response:

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Intel-hd-graphics-what-is-specific/td-p/449410

Just note that microsoft and acer will install a "manufacturer recommended" driver over which you cannot just simply run the intel install to update it. You will need to know how to force update the intel graphics card.

For this you can read the solution from this post:

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/VN7-591G-latest-driver-2016/m-p/434317#M10190

Stil though I don't know if it would be the best idea to upgrade to beta drivers, you should stick with the latest stable release. Unless you have some fixes which come with beta.

• andyz
    andyz Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options

If Acer managed to support their laptops properly with up-to-date drivers I would say don't change but...

The Acer intel driver stopped working continually for me so I changed it. If it works then keep it, else check forum for alternatives and how to install