Acer Aspire R13 (R7-371T) Loose DC Power jack

bhlt917
bhlt917 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited April 2018 in Swift and Spin Series

My R13 (R7-371T) DC Power Jack is loose and continues to flip-flop between charging and on battery, despite being plugged in.  This is the second time I have had this problem! The first time it was under warranty, so I sent it in to Acer who replaced it.  Warranty period is now over, but I have the problem again.

I do use the laptop quite a bit, probably 10 hours per day, and in two different locations (home and office), so it gets plugged in and unplugged probably four times a day, every day.  But this in itself should not be a reason that it has this problem...

Any suggestions on what to do here?

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your R13. Plugging/unplugging the AC adapter can over time cause issues with the port but if you could send a private message we'll see what we can do to assist you.

• Masterguy635
    Masterguy635 Member Posts: 1 New User

I am also having this same issue aswell. It started happening a few months ago, so i had to improvise by putting something on top of the charging receptacle for the laptop to charge. If anything can be done please let me know. 

Thanks

• spesca
    spesca Member Posts: 4 New User

I'm trying to PM you, but the site says I'm not authorized...

I too am having further issues with the DC jack. I sent in the laptop during warranty to fix it, about a year ago. It came back functioning well. But it has again degraded to where the power will flip from DC to battery several times in a minute.

I tried ordering the part, but the specific part number is not available online. The part I ordered arrived today, and is not the right part (at the time of ordering, it mentioned the R371):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Power-Jack-Harness-Cable-For-Acer-Aspire-R7-R7-571-R7-571G-R7-572-R7-572-6423-/272234434896

Let me know what options there may be.

Thanks!

• Pape
    Pape Member Posts: 1 New User

Yesterday I also got this problem. What should I do? I live in Sweden.

• spesca

I wish I could help. I've searched for hours and hours for the part number, I simply can't find anything.

• spesca

This is the part required:

http://www.ebay.com/p/Acer-Aspire-R7-371t-Laptop-DC-Jack-Cable-45w-50-mqpn7-001-Siqdd0zs8ad001/1543974256#ProductDetails

The actual part number is: 50.mqpn7.001

Two "official" parts distributors are:

Name: Capital Data (USA)
    Phone: 800-999-4409
    Site: http://www.capdat.com/acerlaptoprepair.htm

Name: Grandtech  (Canada)
    Phone: 800-567-0586
    Site: https://grandtech.ca/acer-parts.html

• eecjrc
    eecjrc Member Posts: 1 New User

I am also experiencing the same issue and the part is not available anywhere.  Acer phone customer service is of no help whatsoever. My computer has been down for two weeks and I need it for work. I am extremely disappointed with Acer at this point. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would be greatly appreciative. 

• morokhovets
    morokhovets Member Posts: 1 New User

The problem is getting real here with my r7-371t.

Charging status started to flip-flop long ago (while still under warranty) but it was manageable and not very annoying at first.

I was naive enough to think that power jack is a simple part and will be easy to replace later (and apparently it is, only if one can find it) and decided not to fuss with the warranty/returning the device etc.

Fast forward a year and a half and now what?

Replacement jack is not available and my (still kinda fresh) $1300 "ultra" laptop goes where? Trashcan?

At first it was just horrible keyboard issues but I was so in love with the hinges and touchscreen that I decided just to get over it and accept.

Then, discovery of the fact that memory is not upgradable. No mentions of this anywhere in specifications.

And now, I cannot replace flipping (pun intended) power jack?

I was IN LOVE with the device!

But I don't think I'm going to consider Acer laptops when forementioned power jack dies completely and I will be forced to buy new machine.

This is ridiculous.

• spesca

As others have pointed out, it seems impossible to get the actual part.

I waited over 6mos for the eBay seller to get in some stock, until he told me to stop messaging, no more were going to be provided by Acer. Trying to get prices from the other two suppliers resulted in waiting for call-backs which never happened. I'm as furious as anybody else about this situation.

However, I seem to have given my R7-371T a little more life: I cautiously and slightly bent the pole on the inside of the female jack receptacle (i.e. the post inside the jack hole on the laptop). Now when the cable/male end is inserted, I think the slightly bent pole must get better/more consistent contact, and the power flip-flopping has stopped.

No doubt this will only last for a few months or a year, but IMO it's a win in this circumstance.

• Rojma
    Rojma Member Posts: 3 New User

I had the same problem with my Acer Aspire R13 (R7-371T). It got so bad that the unit would not even get power anymore and eventually would not power on due to the battery draining. Fortunately I had the extended warranty so a year ago I sent it to get repaired. When I got it back everything worked fine. Unfortunately over time the power connection got loose again and the connection is constantly going from connected to disconnected. Not wanting to wait until it gets so bad that it won't even charge, I called Acer to get it repaired again. I am still under extended warranty but only for the next 3 1/2 months. When I questioned Acer regarding this issue reoccurring and others having the same exact issue, they refused to acknowledge a design problem with the laptop and would only offer a 3 month warranty on the repair itself, which is completely useless to me since my extended warrany is good for another 3 1/2 months anyways. I tried to get them to commit to offering a warranty on the repair for another year because I know the problem will return, but they would not budge. Extremely disappointed with Acer and I will need to go back to the big 3 OEMS Dell, HP, and Lenovo for any future PC purchases. As a smaller OEM they should be trying harder.

• Dyee20
    Dyee20 Member Posts: 1 New User
    SOLUTION FOUND!

Hey guys, I had the same issue. At first, I thought it was a power jack issue, but then after switching my power adapter with a new one, the problem was gone. My cousin and I both have the same computer and power adapters. Over time, my power adapter grew faulty. Just to make sure it was the power adapter problem and not the power jack within the computer, my cousin and I switched power adapters. His computer started to have charging problems and mine didn't. Fortunately, this part is easy to replace. Just make sure you don't buy a cheap adapter from amazon. I had to buy another adapter because the new adapter I bought went faulty in about a month. 
  • lil14jc
    lil14jc Member Posts: 2 New User
    I too am having this problem and it is very frustrating. My power cord is fine, it is just the adapter that I need to replace. Of course it is no longer under warranty.
  • Auxilia
    Auxilia Member Posts: 3 New User
    I've bought severel R7-371t and R7-327t, almost all are affected by this issue. I've managed to build aholding bracket but on the PC side both the connector and the frame are weak. I've sent the unit for repair some unit till thye were under warranty still after a hwile I hade the same problem. 
  • vincestarr
    vincestarr Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2019
    Nothing has changed with Acer charging connection. I have an Aspire 5 and have the same problem. This is the third Aspire I've owned and they all ended up with the same problem. I see only one solution. This is not power cable issue, as I have purchased another power cord....it's the connection in the laptop. This computer lasted less than a year.
  • semisidoilsgmailcom
    semisidoilsgmailcom Member Posts: 1 New User
    Acer-Mary said:

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your R13. Plugging/unplugging the AC adapter can over time cause issues with the port but if you could send a private message we'll see what we can do to assist you.

Hello I have the same laptop but am needing help to purchase the power jack cord marked tyu 15 for the aspire r13 can U please help me in doing so please
  • Mb63
    Mb63 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same issue on my Chrmbk R13 -  has Acer or their resellers come up with a solution on this?
  • jaliisah
    jaliisah Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

I had that problem with my Aspire R5-571TG and finally had to send it in to have the port replaced. If it's still under warranty, send it in. You can buy new ports on eBay but they have to be soldered onto the motherboard. I am not skilled enough to risk that.
  • Rojma
    Rojma said:

I had the same problem with my Acer Aspire R13 (R7-371T). It got so bad that the unit would not even get power anymore and eventually would not power on due to the battery draining. Fortunately I had the extended warranty so a year ago I sent it to get repaired. When I got it back everything worked fine. Unfortunately over time the power connection got loose again and the connection is constantly going from connected to disconnected. Not wanting to wait until it gets so bad that it won't even charge, I called Acer to get it repaired again. I am still under extended warranty but only for the next 3 1/2 months. When I questioned Acer regarding this issue reoccurring and others having the same exact issue, they refused to acknowledge a design problem with the laptop and would only offer a 3 month warranty on the repair itself, which is completely useless to me since my extended warrany is good for another 3 1/2 months anyways. I tried to get them to commit to offering a warranty on the repair for another year because I know the problem will return, but they would not budge. Extremely disappointed with Acer and I will need to go back to the big 3 OEMS Dell, HP, and Lenovo for any future PC purchases. As a smaller OEM they should be trying harder.

Well unfortunately my predication came true. I was very careful with the unit for the last 2 1/2 years but over time the connection got loser and loser. The day finally came when the power connection stopped working and I can no longer power the laptop or charge the battery. I'll need to look to see if I can find a replacement part somewhere to see if I can fix it myself. I already bought a new laptop to replace it but besides the power port (and poor keyboard) the laptop worked fine and I hate to toss it just because of a faulty power port.
  • Rojma
    Rojma said:
    Rojma said:

Well unfortunately my predication came true. I was very careful with the unit for the last 2 1/2 years but over time the connection got loser and loser. The day finally came when the power connection stopped working and I can no longer power the laptop or charge the battery. I'll need to look to see if I can find a replacement part somewhere to see if I can fix it myself. I already bought a new laptop to replace it but besides the power port (and poor keyboard) the laptop worked fine and I hate to toss it just because of a faulty power port.

Geez after looking for the part I found that most people were trying to price gouge for the part which is just a simple small cable for $40-$50. Finally found the following place that has it for $7:

https://itpartsource.com/products/acer-50-mqpn7-001-dc-in-power-jack-cable-aspire-r7-371t-dd0zs8ad001?_pos=1&_sid=76fac1e02&_ss=r

Decided to order 3 so I have spares in the future. I figure if each one lasts me 2 years then I will have at least another 6 years of life out of this laptop.
  • omggrok
    omggrok Member Posts: 3 New User
    Rojma said:
    Rojma said:
    Rojma said:

Geez after looking for the part I found that most people were trying to price gouge for the part which is just a simple small cable for $40-$50. Finally found the following place that has it for $7:

https://itpartsource.com/products/acer-50-mqpn7-001-dc-in-power-jack-cable-aspire-r7-371t-dd0zs8ad001?_pos=1&_sid=76fac1e02&_ss=r

Decided to order 3 so I have spares in the future. I figure if each one lasts me 2 years then I will have at least another 6 years of life out of this laptop.
    Any chance you can confirm this will work for the R7-372T model?