v3-111p keyboard problems

Options
jkramer
jkramer Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello. As of late, my shift, control, alt, windows, and function keys do not work on the physical keyboard. I suspect I have a driver issue, can someone help?

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

I strongly believe that it's a hardware issue not a driver one. It is too selective to be a driver problem in my opinion. However, you can try to boot for example a ubuntu live USB (you don't need to install anything) and see if the keys work in linux. if not then it's how I suggest, a hardware issue. 

Also the FN key with a specific key combination can make the monitor black (for my notebook is FN+F6), this should work also when the system is powered on (at least in my case it is working during bootup). So try a combination like this imediately after turning on the notebook and see if it will work. If yes, then probably you are right and there is a software issue not a hardware one.

• jkramer
    jkramer Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I do not believe it is a hardware issue, as the shift keys have been remapped to f3 and f7. but if it is a hardware issue, how would I fix it?

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

You can try to uninstall the standar PS/2 keyboard driver from device manager and restart the computer. See if it will help, but I doubt. If you really want to rule out a software problem do as I told you with another OS.

If it's a hardware issue you will need a keyboard replacement, since I don't think that acer does board level repair.