How do you get the Revo 70 remote control to work under Windows 8?

Options
sigsap
sigsap Member Posts: 2 New User

Seems as if the supplied remote control for Revo 70 does not work after you upgrade to Windows 8. Any suggestions for what drivers etc to use to get it to work? Or could it be thath I have missed something obvious...

Best Answer

• Riad
    Riad Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    Options

Had the same problem on the same hardware, found these posts got very upset and fixed the issue.

I am running Windows 8 Pro 64bit - Clean install (not upgrade) and same remote control

Here is how:

1. Download "FIR_ITE_5.1.0.8_W7x86W7x64_A" from Acer site

(Select Windows 7 64 bit)

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/FIR/FIR_ITE_5.1.0.8_W7x86W7x64_A.zip?acerid=634614370273105234&Step1=Revo&Step2=Revo&Step3=RL70&OS=701&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_6

2.  Extract ZIP file your downloaded. Do not run setup.

Navigate to folder  ...FIR_ITE_5.1.0.8_W7x86W7x64_A\FIR_ITE_5.1.0.8_W7x86 x64\INFDrv

3. Double-click on reg file called "InstallRegistry.reg" to import setting.Make sure to answer all prompts Yes and OK

4. Reboot your PC

5. If should start working right after you login, but you might need to start "CIRAP.exe" file that is located in the same folder that REG file it.

Above steps should work if you devices are running properly:

To check open your device manager:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Device Manager

and make sure that you don't have any exclamation points on some unknown devices

You should also see two devices in the list under the "Human Interface Devices"

ITECIR Infrared Receiver (SIO2)

and

Microsoft eHome Infrared Tranceiver

This worked for me just now so it should work for you too.

Answers

• sigsap
    sigsap Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I need to refrase the question a bit as I got the remote to work using the windows 8  FIR driver for Revo 80...

How do you get the keyboard side of the remote to work? I have tried the unlock button as the manual says and the remote seems to work (unlock key blinks every time I press a button) but I get no text.

• russieb
    russieb Member Posts: 18

Tinkerer

Options

I have yet to get my remote to work as I upgraded to Windows 8 as soon as I purchased the RL70 having the same problem as yourself.  I have been told that using the orange lock button does indeed "unlock" the keyboard element of the remote, but that was in Windows 7.  I think you have to hold for a few seconds.  Also, have you tried it with a clear line of sight?  Can anyone using RL70 in windows 7 confirm?

I don't know if the RL80 hardware is different and could the driver only partially work.

By the way, could you please provided the steps you took to install the FIR driver for the Revo RL80.  I tried that but was not able to get it to work at all, let alone the keyboard.

See below post.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Acer-All-In-Ones-Desktops/Remote-not-working-after-Windows-8-upgrade/m-p/28659#U28659

I got the RL80 version 5.2 drivers from here: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Thanks.

• Riad
    Answer ✓
    Options

Had the same problem on the same hardware, found these posts got very upset and fixed the issue.

I am running Windows 8 Pro 64bit - Clean install (not upgrade) and same remote control

Here is how:

1. Download "FIR_ITE_5.1.0.8_W7x86W7x64_A" from Acer site

(Select Windows 7 64 bit)

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/FIR/FIR_ITE_5.1.0.8_W7x86W7x64_A.zip?acerid=634614370273105234&Step1=Revo&Step2=Revo&Step3=RL70&OS=701&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_6

2.  Extract ZIP file your downloaded. Do not run setup.

Navigate to folder  ...FIR_ITE_5.1.0.8_W7x86W7x64_A\FIR_ITE_5.1.0.8_W7x86 x64\INFDrv

3. Double-click on reg file called "InstallRegistry.reg" to import setting.Make sure to answer all prompts Yes and OK

4. Reboot your PC

5. If should start working right after you login, but you might need to start "CIRAP.exe" file that is located in the same folder that REG file it.

Above steps should work if you devices are running properly:

To check open your device manager:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Device Manager

and make sure that you don't have any exclamation points on some unknown devices

You should also see two devices in the list under the "Human Interface Devices"

ITECIR Infrared Receiver (SIO2)

and

Microsoft eHome Infrared Tranceiver

This worked for me just now so it should work for you too.

• russieb

Tinkerer

Options

Riad, you're a genius!

Worked like a dream!  I now have a fully working HTPC.  Thank you.  Kudos given.

Shame someone at Acer couldn't have helped with the problem rather than ignoring it.

The keyboard element of the remote doesn't appear to be working, but that is a minor point in comparison.  I hold the orange "lock" button down which seems to activate it (the orange lock button now flashes when an input is received), but nothing appears on screen.  I've tried it on a couple of applications.  Sigsap - Did you ever get the keyboard working?  Think I'll need to start a new thread on this subject.

I'll add this solution to the other post on the subject.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Acer-All-In-Ones-Desktops/Remote-not-working-after-Windows-8-upgrade/td-p/28659

It appears I cannot mark this thread as solved as I didn't create it.  Can an Acer mod do this please?  It would be a great help to the next community member that decides to upgrade their RL70 to Windows 8.

• Riad
    Options

Russieb, I glad it helped. I also have exactly the same problem with the keyboard element. I will post solution if I figure out anything.

• russieb

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks again Riad.

Acer Mods - Can you confirm whether the original poster is the only one who can mark a thread as solved, or is it something you can do?

• russieb

Tinkerer

Options

Is anyone from Acer reading this thread?

Can this please be marked as solved?

Or does the original poster need to mark as solved?

Please respond!

• tracyh259
    tracyh259 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Thanks for putting the work in to resolve this Riad. Having followed your instructions, my remote control is now fully working (it ceased when I upgraded to Windows 8.1). I seem to have been luckier than most, in that both the TV receiver and the keyboard facility are functioning with your help.

Disappointed that no one at Acer has been able to pick up on your solution. Don't know how you worked it out, but I'm mightily impressed.

This discussion has been closed.