Acer Predator 17 G9-791-78CE First Time Checklist?

JamMeepler
JamMeepler Member Posts: 4 New User

I feel set in what I think I'll be getting but I want to make sure I'm prepared.

I'm used to the Mac realm and XP from an old computer. What do I need to know as a soon-to-be first time user of an Acer Predator?

I gather...

- Register it online.

- Set up the wi-fi with either the stock or updated drivers from somewhere.

- Upgrade the video drivers from the GeForce Experience or Acer system.

- Upgrade the BIOS?

- Anti-Virus that works well with the laptop? I often use AVG and Malwarebytes on the old system.

- Probably need to set up Carbonite to easily transfer my old files unless there might be an easier way on the local network?

- Windows 10 update? Also any Win 10 things I should know?

- Intel latest drivers due to Skylake issues with Windows 10 on stock drivers?

- Am I missing anything big or which you found crucial?

- Check for sound issues or monitor problems or other hardware issues that would mean a DOA set of hardware?

Lastly, where did you buy from? Amazon has a decent price that Acer even links to but do other buying sites have better guarantees within the early period after buying or better service or prices? Making sure I do this right. Thanks for any and all advice for this soon-to-be Predator owner Smiley Happy

Answers

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer

Hi,

your questions are not easily answered in a few sentences. 

For the fist time you should take the Acer's factory installation. 

I would suggest to disable the TPM module in Bios at first. 

Then all should work normally. You can replace some drivers according to the versions, which where delivered.

If you're a very skilled user, you should find the drivers by yourself.

I updated for e.g.

the Killer Network driver to the version 

12.0.0.210 (most stable)

current Nvidia driver and Intel 530

updated tools like Predator Sense and so on ... 

Bios update is an option, too. The tool should be only started when all programs are closed and no virus scaner is running. It reboots without prompting again.

• JamMeepler
    JamMeepler Member Posts: 4 New User

Turn off the TPM? Just the first time or for each time I want to update my drivers? That sounds a bit extreme just for updating drivers. I did a lot of searching online and didn't see this mentioned really, so a little wary. Is there a clear reason to deactive the TPM? Also, I'm not terribly interested in doing a clean install of the OS unless I really have to.

• beststevie

here it's more a question of bad experiences like many bluescreens with every software, which is not certified for it or so. It's just my personal advice to prevent problems.

If you didn't do so you shoud do research for TPM (wikipedia for e.g.). I don't like the idea behind and for me it's just a kind of pseudo security.

I heard in newer versions of the G9 it has already been deacitvated by factory defaults.

• beststevie

my advice is not only for installing drivers, it's my standard settting.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

General tips......

I don't have your computer model.

It's hard to go wrong if you keep your important personal files backed up on a fairly regular basis and create a USB factory default recovery drive.  And then put the USB factory default recovery drive in a labeled envelope....and in a safe place....drawer.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38147

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29934/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDcwMDY3Njc5L3NpZC84MlRVUS1XbQ%3D%3D

https://www.youtube.com/user/AcerAmericaService/videos

I'm not an Acer employee.