I have an aspire ES1-512 C5YW. Water was spilt on the key board whilst it was switch on.

tsum
tsum Member Posts: 2 New User
edited July 2023 in 2018 Archives

The laptop is completely dead. No power supply lights etc.  I've checked the power supply voltage and it appears to be Ok. What else can I check.  I've disconnected the key board and left it to dry out. Any suggestions please. tks Tim

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer

You need to remove the battery, leave the back cover opened and leave it to dry completely in a dust free environment before connecting to mains or insalling the battery, you should be fine as long as you haven't tried switching on the laptop while it was wet, keep it near a radiator or a fan from a safe distance.

• tsum
    tsum Member Posts: 2 New User

OK Thanks.

Note that power was on when the water was spilt and LEFT on for 12 hours before I discovered the spill. The machine was dead...no lights. I did check the power supply voltage with a DVM and it was fine.

So I removed the key board and dried it for 2 days in an airing cover. Then reconnected the keyboard and power supply.  No lights whatsoever....the machine was completly dead.

I then removed the motherboard and hit the reset button on the underside of the board. Reassembled the machine and amazingly the machine fired up fine.

So big relief.

Tim

• shawie60
    shawie60 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    tsum said:

OK Thanks.

Note that power was on when the water was spilt and LEFT on for 12 hours before I discovered the spill. The machine was dead...no lights. I did check the power supply voltage with a DVM and it was fine.

So I removed the key board and dried it for 2 days in an airing cover. Then reconnected the keyboard and power supply.  No lights whatsoever....the machine was completly dead.

I then removed the motherboard and hit the reset button on the underside of the board. Reassembled the machine and amazingly the machine fired up fine.

So big relief.

Excuse my ignorance here but when you say reset button do you mean the battery reset?  I didnt know this laptop had any other reset button/switch ..