Concerns About Getting Predator 17

JamMeepler
JamMeepler Member Posts: 4 New User

I've been looking between the Asus ROG series and Acer Predator and I really like what Acer is doing. I love the keyboard and the cooling setup and everything. I just have one BIG fear.

I read an otherwise glowing review which called the wi-fi quality "muddy" saying it would randomly drop off from time to time and you had to be in the same room as the router. 

This alarms me because I have an old PSP with lousy connection and it always does well. Currently, I use an ailing iPad 2 for streaming video and a connection dropping concerns me.

So far as where I am situated with respect to the modem I usually in a bedroom or a nearer living room. There's a wall behind me and the main room connected to the office and router with an open door. Can't be more than 10 meters max beyond the door. The living room is a little further with a room in between but the connection is always crystal quality with the iPad 2. We use a 2Wire655 provided by AT&T Uverse and easily get the same speed on the old wired computer as the iPad and it is near five years old.

It would be an absolute dealbreaker if I have to sit right next to my router for the Killer card in the Predator to pick up the signal. Tell me this isn't the case and if it is then there are plug in options for a better wifi card?

As a note, 15 down / 2 up meg connection.

Answers

• ChevyCam94
    ChevyCam94 Member Posts: 178 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon

I take my Predator 17 all over the house.  My router is essentially in the basement.  I have a 2 story house.  Even in the second story, as FAR from the router as you can physically get (without going outside of course), I have more than enough connection to be stable.  And honestly, I have yet to see WiFi drop out AT ALL.  Even in my work room where Im surrounded by electrical interference, WiFi is still strong.

• Kenshin0011
    Kenshin0011 Member Posts: 17 New User

5515848552.png

This is with my Predator 15in on 2nd floor of house where the router/5Gmodem is downstairs in the living room.

• Kenshin0011
    Kenshin0011 Member Posts: 17 New User

Make sure you uninstall the factory version of Killer Network and reinstall the current suite from their website

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer

There some equal threads with this subject. 

My advice is not to take to current driver from the Killer Network page. I took the last one with version

which is much more stable running in my system and can solve some problems.

• JamMeepler
    JamMeepler Member Posts: 4 New User

Much thanks for the feedback. This definitely helps me make my decision Smiley Happy