nVidia 980m with only 4GB of VRAM

surk2
surk2 Member Posts: 3 New User

I'm looking forward to buy the Acer Predator NX.Q09EB.003, however the nVidia 980m only has 4GB of VRAM instead of the 8GB version which you would expect for the highest version. How can this be? I'm 100% sure that I will not spend such high money on something that is weird.

Also, I miss dedicated volume buttons amongst others, more like a real keyboard.

Also, the trackpad should be greatly improved, in case you want to install macOS on the future and have full support for the gestures.

Answers

• surk2
    The keyboard backlight should be able to be configured to auto power off after a certain time, fire example if you want to play movies on the dark.
  • laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,050 Trailblazer

Hi surk2,

... the nVidia 980m only has 4GB of VRAM instead of the 8GB version ...

In this case, you should buy a G9-792 (VRAM 6 or 8Gb)  instead of  a G9-791 (VRAM 3 or 4Gb). Of course, that depends of your budget.

France
  • surk2
    The G9-792 is not listed on the website of my region, so I guess it's not available.
  • laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,050 Trailblazer

The G9-792 was launched in June 2016 in my country. It is very recent so I would wait one or two months before making a decision. Here is a french article about this model (sorry only in french):

http://www.laptopspirit.fr/173741/acer-predator-g9-792-710s-pc-portable-17-pouces-gtx-980m-ssd-quad-1999e-200e.html

France
  • SquishyMuffin
    SquishyMuffin Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon

8gb is an absurd amount of VRAM. 4gb will be enough for years. I don't think you'll start to need over 4gb for 4K for at least 2-3 years - which the laptop models resolution you're after isn't even in. Buying on the basis of VRAM is a very mixed bag. VRAM in certain cases, but in the majority of these cases, the GPU runs out of horsepower way before it runs out of memory. 4K isn't even worth it unless you have a HUGE monitor and play very slow paced games.