Can i update my current Bios 1.04 to the 1.10 Version? (Predator G9-591 (LV))

ttrance7
ttrance7 Member Posts: 19 New User

Hi all.  Would really apprecaite some help re: updating my Bios.

The last few days i've noticed my laptop is lagging and freezing for moments when clicking on things, in certain applications; ie excel it would delay/lag when i type or whatever then eventually respond.  I am up to date with my GPU drivers (Intel 530 for the integrated) & Version 362.00 for the GeForce GTX-970 driver so i don't think its a GPU problem, maybe it is, i don't know.

My question is:  Should i update my BIOS which is currently an older version, V1.04.  I see there is a V1.10 available.  Should i update my BIOS to this latest version?  Could it help my system overrall?  Do i need to first "un-install" the current driver in Device Manager first before them running the installation package download off the Acer website for the 1.10 latest BIOS version?  Are you able to just run the package without first uninstalling the current bios?

Sorry for all the questions.  Would really appreciate some help & opinions.

Thanks very much for reading this.

Answers

• SquishyMuffin
    SquishyMuffin Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon

I'm on BIOS v1.10 just fine.

When you download the installer package thing from Acer the software will detect what version you're on and handle it all automatically. Just don't turn off the laptop when it's updating (keep it fully charged just in-case).

Depending on how new your laptop is, w10 could be downloading and updating in the background? It was the case for me as I experienced similar "not super responsive" computing and then realised there was a huge line of updates being downloaded. See if you have Version 10.0.10586. Not having the newest BIOS, in my experience, has caused issues with w10 also.

• ChevyCam94
    ChevyCam94 Member Posts: 178 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon

Just to add on a couple things Squishy might not have mentioned.

Updating to 1.10 cant hurt.  I have yet to see any reports of 1.10 breaking anything.  That being said, just do the update with a charged battery AND the AC plug in.

Next, you cant "uninstall" a BIOS update.  Its not a driver.  It is a small bit of code flashed DIRECTLY to a chip in the computer.  Once its there, it doesnt change, unless you update it with their BIOS flashing utility.

• ttrance7

Thanks so much to both of you for your responses, much appreciated.

So in a nutshell:  I just run the setup file in the installation folder downloaded from the Acer website?  No need at all to "roll-back" or "uninstall" from Device Manager in Windows?  It will just automatically override and install the new 1.10 Bios OVER the current 1.04 version?

Thanks again, appreciate all your help.

• ChevyCam94
    Like I said, you can't roll back or uninstall the firmware on the BIOS chip. But other then that, yes, just run the installer, and it'll tell you what to do.
  • ttrance7

Thanks Chevy, you're a champion, appreciate your help...

Spoiler

• ChevyCam94
    No problem. Glad to help.
  • melcrisdelrosar
    melcrisdelrosar Member Posts: 5 New User
    Hi Chevy , can u please help me? I buy predator 15 g9-592 recently and a week after that, while playing dota the laptop automatically shutdown and when I turn it on .. the laptop became very laggy even a low profile game like warcraft 3 (dota 1) cannot run smoothly. . what do you think is the problem .. the laptop have gtx 980m 8gb ddr5 .. pls pls pls help ;((
  • ChevyCam94

If it shut down on its own, I can think of two things that would have caused it.  First, is the temps inside the laptop got too high, and the system paniced and shut down to prevent any damage.  Second, is that something in the game glitched, and caused a kernel panic, also causing the system to shut down.

Now if its still laggy, you have something else going on.  Check Task Manaager -> Performance (tab), and click on the "Disk" column header.  See whats plugging away at your hard drive.  You might find that the system is trying to recover, and its doing a lot of disk writing.  Do the same check with the CPU column.  Either of those, if something is doing massive amounts of work, can kill the system until they are done.

• melcrisdelrosar
    Ok Ok thanks Chevy,. 1 thing more .. I notice that when I open predator sense. The Celsius indicator for CPU is 0 degree and 32 Fahrenheit it's stay like that after the shutdown.. I cannot also use the dust defender .. thanks a lot sir, I really appreciate your help....
  • ChevyCam94

That doesnt sound good at all.  Try uninstalling Predator Sense, rebooting, and downloading/reinstalling Predator Sense.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Choose Notebooks -> Predator -> G9-592.  Its under Applications.

After you have reinstalled it, hit your Windows button.  Then type "cmd".  Right click on the "Command Prompt" result, and click "Run As Administrator".

In the new Command Prompt window type (without the quotes) "sfc /scannow".  That will scan your system for any potentially corrupt system files.  Just a safeguard in case something got messed up.

• melcrisdelrosar
    Ok Ok I will save this ... thank you very much Chevy honestly dude I send my laptop to acer service center because I don't know what to do .. I will save all of this conversion .. so nxt time I know what to do.
    Thank you very much again Chevy for your very fast replies.. when I got my laptop and something goes wrong again I will contact you again .. I hope the service center fix it ;((