iconia w510 forgot bios password

Options
hutchb
hutchb Member Posts: 15 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Cannot get into BIOS, added password to change the boot mode, forgot password. I thought i posted this question a little earlier but i could not find the post ! The tablet still boots to win 10 if thats any help.win 10 tablet

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

hutchb wrote:

Cannot get into BIOS, added password to change the boot mode, forgot password. I thought i posted this question a little earlier but i could not find the post ! The tablet still boots to win 10 if thats any help.win 10 tablet

You did get both messages posted. I'm guessing the servers take a little while to register the post, so you don't see it right away.

There are no easy solutions to a forgotten BIOS password, and the OS verion doesn't affect it at all, since when you go into the BIOS there is no OS loaded yet. Some systems have a reset jumper that will completely clear the settings, including password, but I doubt if that is there on a W500. Tablets typiclly dont have the free real estate on the motherboard for that type of thing. Do you really, really need it? If so I would bet that you could send it to Acer using the after warranty service and get it cleared.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

hutchb wrote:

You did get both messages posted. I'm guessing the servers take a little while to register the post, so you don't see it right away.

There are no easy solutions to a forgotten BIOS password, and the OS verion doesn't affect it at all, since when you go into the BIOS there is no OS loaded yet. Some systems have a reset jumper that will completely clear the settings, including password, but I doubt if that is there on a W500. Tablets typiclly dont have the free real estate on the motherboard for that type of thing. Do you really, really need it? If so I would bet that you could send it to Acer using the after warranty service and get it cleared.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bavega
    Bavega Member Posts: 30 Troubleshooter
    Options

While the original poster may have remembered his password by now, there is a video on YouTube that includes a desprition on how to reset the BIOS password. It involves downloading a file and booting with the file on a USB drive.

While it may seem risky, I did try it and it worked. It did remove the BIOS password on my W510.

• Antonio92
    Antonio92 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

And what is the name of the file that i need to download?

• ipriestking
    ipriestking Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Bavega said:

While the original poster may have remembered his password by now, there is a video on YouTube that includes a desprition on how to reset the BIOS password. It involves downloading a file and booting with the file on a USB drive.

While it may seem risky, I did try it and it worked. It did remove the BIOS password on my W510.

Bavega said:

Bavega said:

I also have this Acer Iconia w510 that has become useless to me. The windows password was tampered with so I could not login. The only way was to use pc unlocker but I also can't access the bios settings as it required password that I don't have. I bought the device second hand and wasn't given the bios password. I didn't even know about it. The only to make it useful is to remove the bios password. If the video helped, can you pls post the link to it or explain how it worked for you. You will be making me so happy. Thank you.