Acer VN7-592G NVMe support

pasafr
pasafr Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hi,

I would like to know if the Acer VN7-592G-76FZ has support for NVMe SSDs and if a free M.2 connector is available (if yes, what is the casing length?), as I am planning to upgrade my laptop with a Samsung 950 Pro hard drive.

What are the steps I have to perform in order to migrate my OS and data after the possible installation of this SSD?

Do I have to reinstall Windows or am I going to be able just to move data and set it as a boot drive from BIOS?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

Did you check the other thread? Literally posted two days before yours?

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/does-the-VN7-592G-support-NVMe-booting/m-p/442828#U442828

• pasafr
    pasafr Member Posts: 8 New User

The questions I posted are different from the other topic.

First of all I'm talking about a different SKU (VN7-592G-76FZ vs VN7-592G-788W); then I'm asking which length should the m.2 SSD have and finally how to migrate data between mechanical and solid-state drives. I can't see any of these questions (nor their answers) in the thread you linked.

Thanks!

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

And you are reading diagonally?

Because I told there that there is a single BIOS for all 592G, thus meaning that all have support for NvME (unless acer would be an a**hole like some other companies and not solder on the m.2 slot on the MB, but as far as I know from other users which upgraded their 591G, not the 592G they had the m.2 slot even if they did not have initially one SSD inside).

So the question was there no? But is more convenient for you to write again the answer instead of reading the topic...

Regarding the length... well... if you have read the topic which was linked inside, you would have seen that the user which highlighted the capping had a 950 pro NvME SSD mounted in. Which comes in 22x80mm (950 pro does not come in 22x60 or 22x42) eh? So the size was also there right?

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-V5P512BW

A yes... the migration wasn't there. Well this time I will tell you that usually if you buy an SSD they will somehow tell you or provide software which can clone the HDD to SSD. However not all of the manufacturers provide this.  And I will provide another link within this forum where I suggested a software for HDD imaging. You need to image the HDD and write the entire image (not just the main partition) to the SSD.

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/How-do-you-delete-the-9gb-back-up-partition-on-a-32gb-drive/m-p/441069/highlight/true#M10753

And btw... Thanks for reading, and highlighting that the information was there...

• blackhat-
    blackhat- Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hm, seems Acer "forgot" to migrate the important thread where we discussed the Windows 10 updates (creators, fall creators update) problem on 592g machines. No pun intended but this smells strange...

In short:
    592g + 950pro (NVME SSD) + Windows Version Updates (1703, 1709,...) = Failure on boot phase (0xc0000225, failed to load winload.efi) because the BIOS (UEFI) doesn't recognize NVME SSDs on startup. No solution to date.
  • dowst
    dowst Member Posts: 30 Troubleshooter
    No help for Acer support. Look at this problems listed on this site and think. Just ordered Dell machines for Client!
  • micael
    micael Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

I don't believe that they did that.
    No answer regarding the update failure, and DELETED the thread????
    My machine is VN7-792G but the problem is the same.
    Windows 10 on Samsung 950Pro DOES NOT UPDATE.
    You must REINSTALL the OS to get the update.

Please ACT !!!!
  • dowst
    Here is an idea for a possible cluncky solution.
    Add an UEFI systems partion to the SATA drive that points to the windows installation on the 950 PRO. Any comments
  • micael

Tinkerer

Has anybody tested the solution @dowst suggested?
  • blackhat-

Tinkerer

Not me. But isn't that the idea behind Windows Boot Manager?
    My opinion is that we can only boot from the nvme ssd because Windows configures Windows Boot Manager partition to point to the Windows installation.

When I installed Windows onto the Samsung 950 Pro the first time, I had to add the Samsung nvme drivers to the Windows installation usb stick. Without the driver, the installation process wasn't able to detect the ssd at all.
  • braintus
    braintus Member Posts: 1 New User
    I've testet the solution to add the EFI partition to the other drive and changed the bios starting order, but it doesn't work. All updates still fail after reboot. @acer since there are comming forced updates this problem needs to be solved.
  • TW85
    TW85 Member Posts: 31 Troubleshooter
    Bringing this back to the top, just went through a clean install of 1709. The 950 pro works but does not show in BIOS or Boot Order
  • micael

Tinkerer

I need a straight answer from an ACER representative.
    I bought this laptop for its value for money, and although it is not easy task to add memory and m2 sata disk, I went this path.
    I purchased a configuration with i7 6700HQ, 8GB of RAM, 17'' HD Screen and 1TB HDD. I wanted to add extra a Kingston 8GB DDR4 (KCP421SD8/8) certified memory module and the 512GB 950Pro V-NAND SSD. The memory did not work well and I removed it. The SSD installed the OS and everything was fine except that ACER did not allow four-lane PCIe bandwidth. This was fixed after a BIOS update. After that EVERY upgrade of the Windows 10 FAILS. So I ask, if I buy NEW EXPENSIVE HARDWARE , the Samsung's 850 EVO 1TB and replace the HDD, DO YOU GUARANTEE that the system will work with both disks installed and UPGRADE Windows 10 AS LONG AS I install them on the SATA SSD ?????? Of course, MY NEXT PURCHASE WON'T BE ACER. 

• blackhat-

Tinkerer

edited December 2017
    Hi micael,

I cannot give a guarantee but that's what I do to update Windows 10 on my 950pro. I clone the system to the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA SSD) I installed into the SATA slot and let Windows update from there. After all I clone it back to the 950pro. It's a little tricky to tell the laptop what system to boot from (bcdedit is the keyword here).

To answer some of your questions:
    Acer V15 Nitro Black Edition (VN7-592G) works with NVME SSD (Samsung 950 Pro) and Samsung 850 EVO (SATA SSD) installed at the same time. And if you setup the SATA SSD as your system SSD everything will be fine.
  • micael

Tinkerer

@blackhat Thanks for the info. 
    So the only solution is to install Windows on the HDD or a new SATA SSD
  • micael

Tinkerer

Thank you @melvincz but I will go with the SATA SSD solution, I don't have more time to loose....
    Unfortunately I wasted too much time with ACER.
  • melvincz
    melvincz Member Posts: 4 New User
    Just to inform you all. I've purchased EVO 960 NVMe and PRO 850 SATA. Both HDDs are connected but NVMe seems to be primary to me. Everything is working fine after a clean installation of Windows 10 (Fall Creators Update) and Samsung NVMe driver. I don't see any problem when booting. I haven't event use the solution mentioned two posts above.
  • dowst
    Hi melvincz, Did you clean install directly to the NVMe drive, clone to the NMVe from the SATA or is the SATA drive the main system drive?
    Did you add the Samsung diver after installation or inject it during?
    Hopefully it will support the next feature update.
  • melvincz
    melvincz Member Posts: 4 New User
    Well, I've used original LiteOn M.2 drive before purchasing 960 EVO NVMe drive. SATA drive was connected always. I'm not sure, which drive is used by the system as primary, however the installation has been done directly to NVMe drive without any issue. Driver was added after the installation just to get the max speed from the drive. No issues during the installation with the default driver.
  • -quickstylez-
    -quickstylez- Member Posts: 1 New User
    It's unbelievable how acer acts in this case. There are several people with exactly the same problem and no reaction from the manufacturer... i'm very angry about this whole situation. -.-