G9-591 "always use discrete graphics"

IanGValerio
IanGValerio Member Posts: 9 New User

Hi. Got my laptop yesterday. Still learning and exploring this laptop but i never understand what is the effect of "always use discrete graphics" when clicking it will notify me the dGPU and iGPU icon. what is the purpose of it? then clicking it agian. it will notify me only the dGPU icon what is the difference of the two? Please educate me. 

THANKS!

Answers

• Rabt1
    Rabt1 Member Posts: 3 New User

iGPU is Intergrated GPU. simply said its build in with the intel processor.

dGPU is Discrete GPU, thats the NVIDIA graphics that is in the laptop.

when in normal day to day usage, there is no need for the always use dGPU.

So u can use the setting with the 2 GPU icons.

If u are doing high graphics gaming, might want to change the setting to always use dGPU. 

hope i was able to help.

• SquishyMuffin
    SquishyMuffin Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon

If you use the "2 GPU's" option does the laptop automatically detect when playing games or exporting video editing (cuda) to then use discrete?

Or must one manually switch between the modes? I'd rather save any unnecessary strain on gpu, so would prefer to not to always have discrete on.

• Rabt1
    Yup. It does. Usually when ur dGPU fails when its in gaming, the com will revert back to the iGPU as a back up. But then usually i use the always use dGPU for gaming.. just a preference.. for normal use of browsing internet, doing work or anything, i would use the 2 GPU setting..
  • ChevyCam94
    ChevyCam94 Member Posts: 178 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon

I would kind of like to see a third option to use ONLY the Integrated GPU.  That could potentially save a lot of power.

• Rabt1
    Oh no no no. I wouldnt want to see that. Cause u would risk over working the processor and hence the risk of spoiling the processor is high. Over heating the processor will do more harm then good especially in coms that has high graphics capability.
  • ChevyCam94
    ChevyCam94 Member Posts: 178 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Throttling should take care of that.

And there is an option in the NVIDIA control panel that allows you to select the iGPU, iGPU/dGPU, or just dGPU.

Going to do some tests, but it should be able to handle it. The idea is that you use the iGPU for non-games.