Acer Predator 17 Screen Gone Black And Won't Turn Off

Skyehammer
Skyehammer Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi Guys ,

I bought my son an Acer Predator 17 on 31st May so it's still under warranty - tonight the screen went black but the keyboard lights remain on - I can't turn it off though despite holding down the on/off button for at least 30 seconds .

He is very disappointed as you can imagine but before I send it back does anyone on here have any suggestions as to what it might be - I read about another Acer with similar problems , someone suggested taking the Ram out but I don't want to void any warranty .

Thanks .

Answers

• dirtball11
    dirtball11 Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm getting the same thing.. if I plug in and HDMI, my laptop screen turns on, as normal, and the external monitor just flickers. Unplug it, and they both go black.

• Demona
    Demona Member Posts: 4 New User

Skyehammer wrote:

Hi Guys ,

I bought my son an Acer Predator 17 on 31st May so it's still under warranty - tonight the screen went black but the keyboard lights remain on - I can't turn it off though despite holding down the on/off button for at least 30 seconds .

He is very disappointed as you can imagine but before I send it back does anyone on here have any suggestions as to what it might be - I read about another Acer with similar problems , someone suggested taking the Ram out but I don't want to void any warranty .

Thanks .

Flip your laptop over.. next to the SNID number plate is a small pin hole with a hard to see battery pic next to it.. Get a needle and push it in the pin hole WHILE you hold the power button on your laptop. once the computer shuts down remove the needle and restart your computer by power button.

This is how acer had me fix my sons laptop when it done the same thing

• AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I think additionally you might be able to shut it down by opening the service door in the back and removing it but definitely by the method Demona layed out.

• Bobgoblin
    Bobgoblin Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thank you Demona, you have saved Acer a Warranty Claim.  And solved my headache.  Your solution seems to be an undocumented feature of this great machine, I could not find the answer in the Owners Manual.  When unattended, my keyboard had turned completely unresponsive, so I attempted a reboot by closing Windows 10 with the mouse... Start>Power>Shut down.  Screen and peripherals turned off, but Hardware Power Switch and Programmable Keys to left of keyboard did not (they remained lit red); I was unable to stop or start the machine, holding down the Power Switch or any key did nothing.  That almost invisible pin hole you have found is smaller than the CD Dive Manual Eject Hole, and will not accept an unbent paper clip, so we truly need to use a NEEDLE.  Now how do we avoid the smart matt-black finish to the case becoming covered with unsightly fingerprints... is there a better solution than wearing white cotton gloves?  That is something that would have been avoided with the more usual shiny case, bad decision Mr Acer.
  • ScorchBG
    ScorchBG Member Posts: 1 New User
    Update - Happened to me for the first time I own a Predator 17 (bought in end of 2015).
    Does anyone know the root of this cause? I am getting worried as it happened out of nowhere and I have no indications as to what has caused it?
    Thanks for the guy that gave the solution method with the pin - literally nothing else works!
  • This is probably happening because fast startup is turned on in the power options! This is especially true when there is some conflict between the video driver and the 1803 version of windows 10! I recommend upgrading the intel and nvidia video drivers and make sure the problem remains with the fast startup enabled!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    My Predator 17 had the same issue until I updated my BIOs to the latest. Try that.

Also as far as fingerprints:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BCY993J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8IZSBbV4752N1
    - Hotel Hero