V5-591G-72SK to external monitor via HDMI not working

face
face Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

The monitor doesn't even get detected. I have verified that there is no problem with the cable. The monitor works when it's connected via HDMI to my desktop so I know the monitor doesn't have a problem either. No idea what the issue is?

The monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster S24B300BHL and runs at 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, same as the laptop.

Any help solving this would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• face

Tinkerer

Update on this...

I connected the laptop to the monitor via their respective VGA sockets and the laptop made the New Hardware sound and detected the monitor. I then took the HDMI cable out of the port on the laptop and re-inserted it. Duh-duh. New Hardware sound again. On Display Settings there were now three displays. I unplugged the VGA cable and guess what? It still worked. I was now succesfully outputting the laptop to my external monitor via HDMI. 

Why does the monitor only get detected if I use the VGA sockets first? Is this intentional or a bug? 

• face

Tinkerer

Need some advice here.

I don't want to give it away for 'repair' for however many weeks if this is 'normal' behaviour and there's nothing they can do about it.

• face

Tinkerer

I ended up sending it out for repair and when I got it back I still had the problem.

I've only just discovered that the issue is (presumably) HDCP. 

I'd never even heard of HDCP before. Acer really ought to have educated me on this before telling me to send it to them for repair.

• jfjorge
    jfjorge Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi, did you ever find a solution for this? i have the same issue as you

• face

Tinkerer

Hi, yes it was something to do with HDCP (some sort of copy protection). Essentially you need a cable that bypasses the HDCP. By chance I discovered that a cable that came with a freeview box did this.
  • jfjorge
    jfjorge Member Posts: 5 New User

Thanks for taking the time to reply, 

So, in theory, the older, cheaper it is, the best to work. I will try w a bunch of hdmi cables i have and my next step is going to be buying a cheap chinese hdmi splitter. I bet that strips the HDCP off.