How do I undo Raid0

farizz145
farizz145 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, I recently bought an Acer predator 15 . It has 256 ssd and 1tb hdd fitted in it. Now a raid0 partition has been created which limits me from accessing about 600 gb of memory. How do I undo Raid0?

What do you recommend I do?Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

[subject line edited to clarify topic]

Answers

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer

Hi,

ok. To undo an Raid 0 is always only possible by deleting it.

Before configuring storage, you should find some info about the basics.

If you create an Raid0 with not the same size discs, you get only the capacity of the smallest disc.

Deleting is here not the easiest, because your Operating system is on the raid0 and you will loose all data by deleting.

If you're not a experienced user, you should ask Acer or your Vendor, to fix it.

Best would be to do a fresh installation. Just to reset it changes nothing to the storage configuration.

steve

• SIM5175
    SIM5175 Member Posts: 14 New User

Hello, seems that a lot of us ar making the same mistake at the biginig of use this units.

Unfortunately Acer dont live us option to undo this SATA Array we ar creating by mistake. So the only solution to this problems, in my opinion, is to go with the unit in Acer Service.

Here you have some links with same unsolved issues.

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer

Ok, to know how raid works is one thing. To create a Raid0 without knowing what you ar e doing is like formatting a hard drive without knolwedge. Undoing a Raid0 is technically not possible (never!).

The Usual way here shoulld be to set to "legacy" and then to "raid" in Bios and then you can enter by strg+ i the raid controller Bios. But if you have attached a GPT initialized disc, you will not be able to boot the notebook any more until you put out this disc.. Therefore you CANNOT delete this Raid0 "the easy way"

You can try to boot a live cd with Ubuntu for e.g. and try to delete the array with gparted. Or you delete the discs externally.

So maybe it's better to ask Acer.

• SIM5175
    SIM5175 Member Posts: 14 New User

Hello again, my unit is up and runing again with the factory setings.  I was with it in Acer Service and they formate both disks and instaled again factory setings, all this on waranty, no costs at all. So i have now again  1Tb HDD and 128 Gb SSD at my disposal.

• JW1
    JW1 Member Posts: 1 New User

Why does the sofware offer a self distruck option.

When updating my new Acer preditor 17 g9-793 it offered me tan option to speed up my storage.

I ofcause accepted the offer as I assemed that the software installed in my machine by Acer is compatible with the hardware.

The result is I now have a Raid0 array that has hidden from use my 1tb of memory.

I have written to Acer 4 days ago and have had no responce.

I have contacted my vendor and they are not interested.

I am starting to think that I made a mestake buying Acer.

• sxlk
    sxlk Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

JW1 said:

Why does the sofware offer a self distruck option.

When updating my new Acer preditor 17 g9-793 it offered me tan option to speed up my storage.

I ofcause accepted the offer as I assemed that the software installed in my machine by Acer is compatible with the hardware.

The result is I now have a Raid0 array that has hidden from use my 1tb of memory.

I have written to Acer 4 days ago and have had no responce.

I have contacted my vendor and they are not interested.

I am starting to think that I made a mestake buying Acer.

I have exactly the same problem, how you solved this?
  • penguinpal
    penguinpal Member Posts: 2 New User
    My PC-newb friend made the same mistake with his Acer Predator (raid0 with his 250GB SSD and his 1000GB HDD). I did mange to fix this, but it was tricky since windows 10 was installed on this raid0. None of the above mentioned methods worked. Firstly I tried pressing CTRL + I, but that didnt work on his Acer Predator and i tried a bunch of other stuff without any luck.

The way I fixed the issue was to install windows 10 on an external HDD, ran the windows10 installation on his Acer predator, installed Intel Rapid Storage Manager and then I could remove/deactivate the raid from Intel Rapid Storage Manager.

Steps are here:
    1. I used the program WintoUSB ( https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/ ) to create a 'portable windows 10' on my external usb 3.0 HDD. I tried with windows 7 first, but that didn't work for me (got a blue screen of death) FYI.
    2. The Acer Predator couldn't boot the windows installation (nothing happended). I changed the boot method to 'Legacy' in the BIOS and it booted!
    3. I installed Intel Rapid Storage Manager ( https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005 )
    4. I opened the Intel Rapid Storage Manager and now I got the possibility to deactivate/remove the raid0 (so I did)!
    5. I made a bootable windows 10 USB and created the partitions through the windows installer and installed windows.
    6. I had to format the 1000 GB HDD my rightclicking on it in windows to use it.
    Hope it helps some of you.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,253 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    My suggestion is when you have intel rst installed remove it asap because it will create issues when it asks you to create raid as it was said by @beststevie and very well raid 0 can only be made with 2 drives the same size and preferably same brand/model (a little bit like ram in dual channel but nothing to do with it) and its not possible to break raid only solution is to format both drives loosing all data if when 2 drives in raid 0 one fails you are completely screwed all data is lost do not try to do things that you don't understand how they work because after its done there is no way back

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    My PC-newb friend made the same mistake with his Acer Predator (raid0 with his 250GB SSD and his 1000GB HDD). I did mange to fix this, but it was tricky since windows 10 was installed on this raid0. None of the above mentioned methods worked. Firstly I tried pressing CTRL + I, but that didnt work on his Acer Predator and i tried a bunch of other stuff without any luck.

The way I fixed the issue was to install windows 10 on an external HDD, ran the windows10 installation on his Acer predator, installed Intel Rapid Storage Manager and then I could remove/deactivate the raid from Intel Rapid Storage Manager.

Steps are here:
    1. I used the program WintoUSB ( https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/ ) to create a 'portable windows 10' on my external usb 3.0 HDD. I tried with windows 7 first, but that didn't work for me (got a blue screen of death) FYI.
    2. The Acer Predator couldn't boot the windows installation (nothing happended). I changed the boot method to 'Legacy' in the BIOS and it booted!
    3. I installed Intel Rapid Storage Manager ( https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005 )
    4. I opened the Intel Rapid Storage Manager and now I got the possibility to deactivate/remove the raid0 (so I did)!
    5. I made a bootable windows 10 USB and created the partitions through the windows installer and installed windows.
    6. I had to format the 1000 GB HDD my rightclicking on it in windows to use it.
    Hope it helps some of you.
    The simpler way will be to remove the HDD, which will break the RAID 0 array and then reinstall windows on the SSD. After the windows is installed connect the HDD back and re-format it. This doesn't require a 3rd drive with windows.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!