Acer 5750G is slow

vyshak91
vyshak91 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have an Acer 5750G which I have been using for nearly 4 years. For a year now, the laptop has been acting very strange. Since I have another laptop, which I use most of the time, I did not pay much attention to this. The laptop intially came with Win 7 Home, which I upgraded to Win 8.1 Pro (Official  - I got a spare license key) and now to Windows 10. I thought it was due to Win 10 that my laptop was slow so I took a backup and then restored to factory default Win 7 using recovery discs, but the laptop is still slow.

It is not entirely slow, it runs, then hangs for 1-2 secs and then runs and hangs again. This is true for gaming too and for even the basic games (Age of Mythology, Counter Strike etc.). I have run malware detection tools, HDD and RAM health checks and recently serviced the laptop and applied Cooler Master MasterGel Maker Nano to it. The temps are down now typically in the 45-50 at idle and 65 during games. The GPU runs at 65-70 during gaming. Still the laptop hangs during gaming.

Specs:

Core i7 2630QM

NVIDIA GT 540M (2gb)

6GB RAM

640 GB HDD

Win 10 Home

Please help me. I do not want to give up this lap, since this is the first one I got with my salary Smiley Happy

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

First thing I do with a slow machine is to run Task Manager (right click in tray and select) and see how loaded the system (CPU, RAM, Disk) is. Once the choke point is found, then need to determine what is causing it. Sounds like some background task has too high a priority.

Might want to go to Control Panel>Power and select "High Performance".

• vyshak91
    vyshak91 Member Posts: 2 New User

I tried to do this but my disk varies in usage from 20 - 100% it does not stay constant at high rates, but keeps varying. I think it is my hard disk, there is a very faint clicking noise which i can hear if i keep my ear close to the hdd. Not sure if this is normal. But I checked with Seatools and chkdsk, both do not report any errors on my hdd. Any other solutions??