Predator G9-591-LV - Thunderbolt 3 Firmware Update (2 Parts)

ttrance7
ttrance7 Member Posts: 19 New User

Hi there.  I have the above model Predator 15 laptop.  Just before after booting up, the Acer Care Center application showed that there were 2 critical updates that needed up dating, they were the Thunderbolt3 Firmware Update (2 Parts).

I first updated Part 1, the computer then rebooted.  I next went back in & it said Part 2 was needing to be updated so started updating Part 2, it took a while & eventually a message popped up saying something along the lines of "You need to unplug power & get a paper clip and press the reset battery hole underneath laptop for 4 seconds to reset battery".

I did the above, took the chord out & turned laptop over and hopefully put the paperclip in the right little hole, 99% i did it right, pushed the paperclip inside the hole for 4 or so seconds, couldn't see the screen while i was doing this, but after 4 or so seconds, looked at screen & saw the computer had switched itself off. Is that what is supposed to happen?

Anyway, assuming that's what is meant to happen, rebooted laptop but Acer Care Center is still saying Part 2 is still needing to be updated.  I'm not sure why?  In the blue Update rectangle in Care Center it still shows 1 update is needed, being Part 2 of Thunderbolt3 Firmware. Do i try it again or is it the Care Center application wrongfully showing i need to still update Part 2? I've opend & closed the Application a few times but it still shows the Thunderbolt3 Firmware Part 2 update is still needing updating.

Sorry for the long message, would really appreciate some help, thanks alot.

Answers

• ttrance7
    ttrance7 Member Posts: 19 New User

Would really appreciate some help with the above post?  Still says 1 update available (Part 2 of Thunderbolt3 firware update, Version 14) even though i followed what it said, used paper clip & pressed the battery reset pinhole for 4 or so seconds, laptop switched off, i pressed the power on again to boot laptop up but it still says the update is still needed to be updated.

Sorry again for the post, would really appreciate some help with this, thanks very much.

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer

I installed the Care Center 2 days ago, but the update has appeared today, wiht some delay...

My frist impression here is, that Update number 1 is to the bottom, not to the top.

Could this be a problem?

I would prefer to analize a bit before trying myself the updatre Smiley Happy ,

steve

• beststevie

Ok. I can acknloledge that. After first part updating and reboot it sais...oh...you should first update the 1rst part and failure.

It remembers me to the last Bios update.

Hello Acer, please help! You must stop this update and release a working one, please.

Is our thunderbolt now defective? I don't have any devices here for testing.

• Lyon
    Lyon Member Posts: 37 Troubleshooter

I see that updating Thunderbolt is not the best idea ATM Smiley Sad. OMG, Acer failed again.

• beststevie

I asked a Acer member to inform the coders. Maybe something happens....

• Gizmo72
    Gizmo72 Member Posts: 1 New User

I searched for this topic when I got the same update. It worked for me and this was how I did it.

• Doing the update is not organized when you do "update all"... However, Acer Care will still install the first part of the Thunderbolt firmware.
    • Reboot.
    • Install the 2nd part.
    • You have to power off the laptop after Part 2's Thunderbolt firmware update.
    • Unplug the power adapter.
    • After 60 seconds, insert a paperclip into the battery reset pinhole (below the laptop) and press it for 4 seconds (it is on the middle-left [if the laptop lid is facing down]). I did not use a paperclip. I used a metal twist tie, where I had to cut of the plastic covering, revealing the thin wire underneath.
    • I literally used the exposed thin wire for more than 4 seconds, because I'm not hearing any audible "click" sound. It's also pretty deep.
    • Powered it on and it's updated.

image001.png

Based on reading your posts, I think the issue you're having is that you're not powering off the laptop first when unplugging the adapter and inserting the paperclip.

• Lyon
    Lyon Member Posts: 37 Troubleshooter

Succesful update for me too. But, when i was installing the second part, it failed at first. Second time, update was succesful. Unlike Gizmo72, i heard a tiny clicking sound, when i was reseting battery, so i was pretty sure, i pressed it.

• yes, there's something different. This time it passed without errors.

• Tor
    Tor Member Posts: 7 New User

MARCH 23 2017

I got two ntifications form Acer Care Center: "Thunderbolt3 Firmware Update" part 1 & 2.

WHAT IS THUNDERBOLT3 ?