Acer M5-583P Bios Update Freeze

Options
onlinevendor
onlinevendor Member Posts: 1 New User

Upgrading the bios from 2.22 to 2.30 resulted in a frozen bios update screen at 56%.  Once I restarted the laptop was bricked and no longer booted.  The below is how I fixed the issue.

#1.  I formatted a 8GB USB Fat32.

#2. I downloaded the bios I wanted to flash (it ends in .exe) from Acer's website.

#3. I ran the .exe on an alternate computer, this resulted in the .exe erroring out (it's not the right computer to flash) and exiting the installer.  

#4. I found the .FD file in the temp folder the .exe created.  C:\Users\*your username*\AppData\Local\Temp\7zSE7A8.tmp.  You will need to have "view hidden files" turned on.  The temp folder may be different for you, simply sort by date and look at the ones that are closest to the time you ran the .exe

#5. I pulled the battery cable (will require some dissembly on this model) and held down the power button for 30 seconds (plug the battery cable back in once this is done).

#6. I put the .FD file on the 8GB USB drive and put that in the Acer laptop.

#7. I held down FN + ESC then pressed the power button once.  I kept holding the FN+ESC combo until the light on the laptop began to flash, then I waited around 30-40 sec (mileage may vary) and the light on the USB began to blink.  At this point it may take 5-7min to flash the bios file.  

#8. Laptop should boot normally into your operating system.  Please note that your bios settings will have been reset at this point so if there is anything you set, you will need to do so again.

#9. Profit.

I am creating this post as information for some other poor soul who like me could only find limited information online concerning this problem.

Answers

• CJtheITguy
    CJtheITguy Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Literally created an account to thank you! My machine did the EXACT same thing, but at 69% for over 24 hours. Just saved me a ton of time and money! 

Only thing I changed in your instructions was a paperclip to reset the battery, held it in the little hole at the bottom for 30 seconds with the power pressed and unplugged from power.

ACER- PUT THIS MANS INSTRUCTION IN THE README FILE!!!!