Can anyone offer tips on installing WIN 10 on Aspire 5532; will not complete install

Hauptman
Hauptman Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives

Can anyone offer tips on installing WIN 10 on Aspire 5532; will not complete install...  just shuts off, then when i start the laptop again, i get the error message... I started froma new install of WIN 7... please help, thanks folks.

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hello,

Why you don't try to install directly windows 10? Probably in this way it will not get stuck with an error.

If you have your w7 key you can use the w7 key to activate w10 directly as written here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10

And you can easily make a w10 bootable device by downloading the tool from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Just bear in mind that if you have W7 Home, Home premium, select w10 home, othervise you will not be able to activate w10 pro with your w7 home key. The same goes for W7 pro and W7 ultimate. They will activate W10 pro only.

• Hauptman

Hi Sharky

What do you mean "install directly windows 10" ?

Do you mean 1) reformat my hard drive (erasing everything), and then 2) using the WIN 10 CD (that I created using the media tool from the Microsoft website) to start a "direct install" ?

I have tried installing WIN 10 two different ways... 1) using the CD I created using the MS Media tool without wiping the hard drive clean via a reformat, and 2) downloading the upgrade files and starting the install process without the WIN 10 CD I created.

Each way resulted in an error and failure.

Do I need to create a Microsoft account for my Aspire 5532 laptop?... seems I read that here on the Acer site.

Thanks Sharky.

• sharky25k

Hi,

Yes that's what I mean by clean install. Installing the w10 on your notebook after formating your C drive (the partition which has the old OS).

I assumed that since you upgraded on a fresh w7 you don't have data to keep so that's why I suggested this solution. Also could you provide the error message during the installation? Probably there is a small workaround out there (I cannot guarantee but worth trying).

The installation does not have anything to do with a microsoft account, and for windows 10 you can create a microsoft account which will be your user account (thus enabling all the windows 10 features like cortana etc) or you can stick with a local account, without having a microsoft account. It's not mandatory to have a microsoft account.

• Hauptman

MAny thanks,Sharky... do I need to update the BIOS first? If so, where do I get the latest version? This laptop is 5 or 6 years old with just 3GB of RAM... best I can tell, I cannot get anymore RAM on this motherboard, correct? Thanks.

• Hauptman

Sharly, since I have just 3 GB or RAM (and a lot of that is for video chip), maybe I should install the 32 bit Windows 10 version instead of the 64 bit version... what think?...  any comments on why 64 is better or 32 is better on a 3 BG Ram laptop are appreciated. Thanks.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

You can upgrade your ram to 4GB.

original.jpg

• sharky25k

Hi,

My personal opinion would be to don't really install w10 on just 3 gb of RAM, or if you install it assume it will run a little slower.

For example right now with firefox open and w10 installed I use 2.1 GB of ram (I have 8 on this Acer Aspire 5742Z).

It will not be "heavier" for your system if you put x64 or x32, x64 will offer you room for future RAM upgrade (eg if you want to put in more than 3)

Regarding the windows 10 install, I would update my BIOS (if there is any) before I would install the OS.

• tschaffer
    tschaffer Member Posts: 1 New User
    hello im sure you have figured this out by now, but just wanted to say that the same thing happened to me several times before working right, i just kept trying, restarting myself, etc. then somehow it finally worked with the windows 10 pro, insider edition, i thought i could really give some feedback, now i just wish i had stuck with win 7 like everyone else, yet i had to try 10 because 8, which i really didnt like turns out wasnt half as bad as 10  is,  so far nothing about windows 10 has me saying its an improvement, windows 7 is the best by far for me as a typical laptop user,  a friend of mine did a few little tweaks so that my computer Win 10) starts up with a desktop, then i can access any win 10 features myself if i really want to, but as i said, i hate everything about it!!!  really disappointed with microsoft as i feel they think we are all idiots, now i really like my apple ipad, but microsoft edge can kiss my ____!!!!!  their next operating system hopefully will be a lot more functional and fun, i think they just added the feedback hub and insider preview builds to make us think it would be interesting and fun to contribute somewhat, i cant even explain how much i do not like windows 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited February 2018

a: have windows 10-64 running on 2GB just not fast, 32 bit is better and has a smaller footprint (disk space).

b: is not enough to have a clean win 7 install you must also have all available updates installed first. Then you can upgrade to Win 10. The last time I did that there were 182 updates that needed to be installed onto an i7 desktop and it took most of the day and all night with several retries on a 25MB/s pipe.

c: if you create a recovery drive and a system image for Win7 7 once you finish the updates you can always go back.

d :  did anyone mention saving all license keys offline (Win 7 is different from Win 10) ?

• Showking
    Showking Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hauptman said:

Can anyone offer tips on installing WIN 10 on Aspire 5532; will not complete install...  just shuts off, then when i start the laptop again, i get the error message... I started froma new install of WIN 7... please help, thanks folks.

• Showking
    Showking Member Posts: 2 New User
    It took me a week to get win10 on it but you have to use administrator account to complete the task and in and out of dos (cmd) about the oobe errors