Can you install Linux Ubuntu on Acer Switch 10 Model SW5-012?

Angie1
Angie1 Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon

So this is the Story of my life. Or the story of this Switch...

My brother gaves his Acer Switch Model SW5-012 me and my husband and I wants to use Linux Ubuntu on it.

Before we do so I want to know How, no How, Is it Good to install Ubuntu on a Switch?

I don't care I don't Like Windows 8.1. The Tablet some things crash and autoshut down I imagine is the 2GB of ram that the unit have, that are not upgradable. So thats my main question is Good to run linux on a Switch. 

Thanks for the help!

:):)  Smile you don't when you are going to miss a tooth  =)=) 

Like if you like my answer 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

I'm not sure that the Ubuntu folks have written drivers yet for the newer Intel chipsets. Without the appropriate drivers any of the fanless designs will overheat, so if Ubuntu doesn't have them ready yet you could accidentally fry the machine by trying to run it. Smiley Sad

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • henrInsider
    henrInsider Member Posts: 1 New User

there are a couple of ways to install linux, i suggest playing in virtualbox for a while, although not as fast if you install in baremetal the intel soc is prettty good for running a VM.

if your still on 8.1 is highly recommand you to upgrade to 10, but before you do, backup your the window 8.1 key w produkey frm nirsoft and download a (techbench) windows 8.1 iso, best to get both versions 32 and 64 bit seperate. sofar acer has provided a 32bit uefi bios, hopefully they will come w a fix for that so you can run in proper 64bit mode.

as of 16.04 intel soc drivers are included, just not wifi, find out in device manger of windows wich model you have, i have an  RTL8723BS wich needed to be compiled and setup frm scratch (best to get a dailybuild iso for that since those include tools for the make compiler), so the virtualbox is probl a better way for novice linux users.