Acer B286HK TN 28 high-pitched noise - update needed

Options
Bostrolicious
Bostrolicious Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

I just bought a Acer B286HK TN 28" monitor and almost immediately noticed a very needless flaw. When there is a lot of detail on the monitor, especially with a lot of text, there is a high-pitched noise. The pitch changes based on the amount of detail, for instance if you zoom in or out from google search results. I've isolated this to the monitor speakers. If you turn their volume down, the sound goes away. Great! I don't care about the speakers anyway. However, if you restart the monitor, or the computer, or the monitor goes to sleep and is started again, the noise comes back. To fix it again, you have to increase the volume and then turn it back down to 0.

As a customer who isn't remotely interested in the speakers, it's very annoying to have to do this again and again. The speakers should stay properly off when the volume is set to 0, or there should be an option to turn them off permanently. I've installed the drivers available on the acer website, so I don't think there's anything more I can do on my end, unless anyone has any ideas?

Acer, please provide an update to allow for turning off the speakers. This flaw is quite needless and should not be difficult to fix.

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Options

Sorry, but I am not aware of an update that would allow you to permanently disable the speakers. I was not able to duplicate the issue you are reporting. How are you connecting the moniotor? If you try another type of input does it have the same problem? My best suggestion at this point would be to set the monitor up for repair, to see if we can duplicate and resolve the issue.

• Bostrolicious
    Bostrolicious Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for your reply! I've connected the monitor with the supplied DisplayPort cable. At your suggestion I tried an HDMI cable as well. This actually rendered the noise a lot less audible, but it's definitely still there, and still disappears temporarily when the speakers are turned off.

If I can get rid of the problem through a repair, I'd be quite happy. I'd like to avoid any risk of having to pay for the service if it isn't considered enough of a fault, or something like that, though. Can I safely pursue this course of action without risking that?

Thank you

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Options

As long as the monitor is not physically damaged, you should not be charged. You would need to contact the service center in your region to find out how to send it in for service.

• chrispitude
    chrispitude Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

I get similar noise using a DVI-D cable (which carries no audio!). It happens when there is a lot of high-contrast text on the screen. It's been very frustrating, as I work from home in a quiet office and the noise drives me nuts.