Aspire TC-605 cant get it to boot from CD or Usb

rhettduke
rhettduke Member Posts: 2 New User

Aspire TC 605

Win 8.1

I have been able to enter Bios by hitting DEL on Start up

I have been able to change settings in Bios and get a F12 Select Boot order promt on start up

I have changed the boot orders of CD and USB to 1 and 2

I have moved the Windows Boot manager to bottom of boot order list.

When I do press F12 on Startup and get a selet device prompt.....ONLY Windows Boor manager is shown as an option.

I have searched and tried several topics witin the community but so far Im not able to boot from any source but the Hard Drive.

Any suggestions ?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Windows boot manager should be first on the list.

If Windows is booting without letting the boot manager get involved, it's probably not going to show any other boot devices. Are you saying that if you put Windows boot manager first and HDD second it won't boot?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2629280/repair-windows-boot-manager.html

• rhettduke
    rhettduke Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the link and time to reply.

I was finally able to boot from a boot cd that had several linux based tools on it. Just one of those cds that CLAIM to be able to fix any type of windows problem....but in reality are of dubious origin.

In continued researh it seems that Windows 8 systems have issues booting from media that was created with previous versions of wimdows.  Some motherboards have options to allow booting to "Legacy" media....and the steps to activate that differ between brands.

Ill continue to research. Smiley Happy