S271HL monitor and Windows 10 ... no driver listed online

mikeamondo
mikeamondo Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 16 in 2018 Archives

Just bought this new at Best Buy, and hooked it up to an HP Desktop.  It's an older desktop, but recently upgraded to Windows 10.  It didn't recognize it at start up... It's just showing as a generic windows monitor.  I looked for a driver on the website, but it doesn't show a Windows 10 monitor.

Right now, the monitor comes on, but it streches everything out side to side... all the options under display properties are 1.3 ratio resolution, and the monitor is 1.7.  Of course, I can change it on the monitor's menu to 'aspect' instead of 'wide' and it displays correctly (not stretched) but that's kind of a waste of the wide monitor. 

The disk that came with the monitor was of no help... it just had the user manual on it.  Isn't there supposed to be a driver on there somewhere?  If so, I couldn't find it.

Is this monitor not compatible with Windows 10?  Any help getting this correct and working would be appreciated.

Answers

• mikeamondo
    mikeamondo Member Posts: 2 New User

Ok... so I think I've solved my own issue, so I thought I'd post a follow up....  I am no expert, so take my analysis here with a grain of dubiousness. 

I upgraded an old Windows 7 machine to Windows 10, and in doing so, the graphics card driver and monitor drivers were set to generic windows drivers, which worked fine until I got my nice wide screen monitor, at which point the generics could not set the correct resolution, and instead stretched out the image side to side.  The issue was not with the monitor, it was with the graphics card (or lack of Graphics Card driver.)

I knew from looking at the generic driver info that I had a Nvidia chip set, so I went to Nvidia.com where they have a utility to scan your computer for Nvidia stuff.  It requires Java, which does not work in Edge or Chrome.  After finally figuring that out, upgrading to the latest Java, and scanning my computer with that tool via Internet Explorer, I discovered I had the nForce 430 / GeForce 6150SE graphics card.  A search of that + Windows 10 on google yielded this thread: nForce 430 Windows 10 thread   and within that thread, was this link: nForce430 Windows 8.1 driver download  .... 

It turns out that the Windows 8.1 driver will work in Windows 10, but you need to download at the link form the GeForce site, and let it install that way.  At least for me, it worked instantly, without even a reboot.  As soon as it was done, the screen resolution corrected, nothing was stretched, and Windows 10 recognized the Acer S271HL monitor in the device window.

Hope this helps anyone else who has this issue.....   

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi mike,

Thanks for coming back and sharing your resolution. I also appreciate the feedback and getting to learn about your experience in getting this resolved. I've noticed a number of user who have questions about monitor drivers and we're working help better inform everyone.

Ultimately, Monitor drivers are .inf file which are just fancy text files that Windows can understand. All they do is tell Windows what the name of the monitor is, and some basic resolutions that are support. Nothing more. It takes time and money to qualify these drivers so Windows 10 accepts them natively, but again, they don't do anything to correct issues between Windows and a Monitor, so it's a cost that has very little value to everyone else other than being available.

Hope you enjoy the monitor and you'll let us know if you run into any troubles in the future.

Thanks,
    Cory

• myacer1955
    myacer1955 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Mike I am glad you got it figured up.  My s271HL worked perfectly with both Window 8 and for well over a year on Windows 10.  But Microsoft's perpetual fixing of the OS messed up my display on 11/23, forcing me to go back to a previous installation.
  • Grym71
    Grym71 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I also just had an experience where my dual monitors, the main one being the Acer S271HL, plugged into my HDMI port switched which port it was connected to, and now displays as being connected through a DVI port, and my other monitor that is connected to the DVI port shows as being connected through the HDMI port.  The other monitor is an older AOC 2036, and my vid card is a GTX 1080i.  The Acer monitor isn't even seen as an actual Acer, just a Generic Non-pnp monitor.  
  • BalaG
    BalaG Member Posts: 1 New User
    In my case, this model was working fine as generic monitor, but soon when Windows 10 updated to a newer version, it updated the driver to Acer S271HL, but now I see an error on the screen that reads as "Input Not Supported". I am on Windows Surface Pro connecting to my monitor through Dynex Display adapter to HDMI port
  • Peterswaie
    Peterswaie Member Posts: 1 New User
    As a newcomer to Acer I have been trying to connect an Acer S271HL monitor to my Swift 3 laptop via the HTML ports.   Nothing happens.   On investigating further the error message tells me that there is a problem with my Intel (R) HD  Graphics 620 device.  All drivers have been updated and appear to be working.  Where do I go next?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    I'm guessing you mean HDMI port, HTML is the language of web pages... :)

What does a Windows-P key combo show you when the cable is connected to the monitor and laptop? It may just be set to 'display only on' mode.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.