Need Help in Battery Calibration

mudasarrafaq
mudasarrafaq Member Posts: 11 New User

I have a Vn7-591g and it is roughly 1years old.

My problem is my laptop is shutting down without noticing low battery notification and without any warning since i have updated my windows 10 pro to November Build.

First it was shutting down at 15% battery level without indication and then i have searched here and there and find calibration procedure like I tried the battery calibration procedures like Charging to 100% in shutdown and go into Safe mode and let it drain and recharge again, after doing that now it is shutting down at 30% or 25% battery level without noticing or warning.

I have tried battery reset Pinhole thing also as suggested somwhere in this discussion.

I noticed a thing when i have set my laptop power option on High Performance, at low battery it goes straight into hibernation but when i have plug the AC Adapter it shows battery level to 0% or 1% and charging.

so is there problem in my Battery or Power Options or the problem is other??? 

Any help will be appreciate and please reply fast because i am sad with this problem. it is a one year old laptop roughly, i have bought new.

Best Answer

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Hi,

Well the wear level is quite high for a one year old notebook. Do you use it often on battery power?

Interesting is that hwmonitor reads the same amount as windows, so sudden shutdown, due to uncalibrated battery... I don't think so. It can be the case just if the cip which controls the charging of the battery does not read correctly the status. Which would imply that you would need to change the battery (the cip is on the battery).

You can try to run battery eater: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Battery-Eater-Pro.shtml

This software will monitor your battery while discharging and then make a graph of it after restart. I don't remember if plots the graph based on percentage, or based on the actual capacity of the battery.

You can read more about what the software does here:

http://lifehacker.com/5657275/battery-eater-benchmarks-your-batterys-capacity-so-you-know-what-to-expect

Also probably would be a good idea to see if this is happening on another OS as well. For example, you can try to make a ubuntu USB drive, boot in linux and check if your notebook suddenly shuts down at the same percentage values. If it is not the case than probably is something just with windows.

Answers

• sharky25k

Hi,

Try to monitor your battery using HWmonitor

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

You should see the designed capacity, actual capacity and current capacity of the battery. You should see if there is some differences between windows and/or HWmonitor reads.

But I suspect that you have some power option settings which could make the problem.

Go in power options, you will see the plans, and then click on change plan settings for the plan which is currently active. Here you will have an option, change advanced power settings. Click it, and in this section you should have battery. Inside you will find various settings like critical level action, critical level. Be sure that the critical level is set to 5% (or 10%). It could be that this setting is set to a much higher percentage.  Also check the low level action, and low level percentage settings.

• mudasarrafaq

Thank you for the reply..

I've restorred power option to default but still the same problem. My Battery Manufacturer is LGC.

Here are my HWMonitor readings

Designed Capacity 52497mWh

Full Charge Capacity 36434mWh

Current Capacity 36434mWh

Wear Level 31%

and Here is from Windows 10

Design Capacity 52497mWh

Full Charge Capacity 36434

So i think it's pretty much my battery is outdated... can you help me understand all these reaings ??????

• sharky25k
    Answer ✓

Hi,

Well the wear level is quite high for a one year old notebook. Do you use it often on battery power?

Interesting is that hwmonitor reads the same amount as windows, so sudden shutdown, due to uncalibrated battery... I don't think so. It can be the case just if the cip which controls the charging of the battery does not read correctly the status. Which would imply that you would need to change the battery (the cip is on the battery).

You can try to run battery eater: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Battery-Eater-Pro.shtml

This software will monitor your battery while discharging and then make a graph of it after restart. I don't remember if plots the graph based on percentage, or based on the actual capacity of the battery.

You can read more about what the software does here:

http://lifehacker.com/5657275/battery-eater-benchmarks-your-batterys-capacity-so-you-know-what-to-expect

Also probably would be a good idea to see if this is happening on another OS as well. For example, you can try to make a ubuntu USB drive, boot in linux and check if your notebook suddenly shuts down at the same percentage values. If it is not the case than probably is something just with windows.

• mudasarrafaq

Hi,

Yes i uses battery more often, may b that's why my battery is losing is charging.

and one more thing when i plug ac to charge on hwmonitor my weras levels show 51% i don't know why..

and i will try your UBUNTU suggenstion and report back in couple of days..

Thank You for helping...

• mudasarrafaq

Okay..

so sfter a week using laptop mostly on ac plugged in my battery wear level on AC charging and on battery power is  is 18% now and full charge capacity is 43286 mWh.

is that normal>???????

• sharky25k

Hi,

I see this often in my notebook as well. That the wear level varies from time to time. Some time ago I had 12%, last week I saw 6% and now for example is 5%.

I never had any problem with these values as long as the battery lasted till 5%, (which is the critical value in windows 10 and it automatically shuts down). However, if your PC is shutting down when you theoretically have enough "juice" in the battery then it could be an issue with the fact that the actual capacity of the battery is not reported corectly.

Try to monitor your notebook discharge with HW monitor and be sure that the wear level does not change suddenly during discharge, and your notebook does not turn off randomly when for example you have still 20% of the battery. If these issues don't happen then is nothing wrong.

• mudasarrafaq

Thank you for your help!

i am now monitoring my battery levels and it is now giving me awesome timing on battery power..

Thanks.