r7 371t 59q1 - touchpad synaptics settings not available.

Blackdragon1045
Blackdragon1045 Member Posts: 6 New User

Hello first time posting here and first time trying out acer laptop (had family desktop years ago). Saddly I had nasty experience with customer support, I ask two questions relating to the problem i had with the backlight on my keyboard and was told it not supposed to work and to manually turn it on after I wake up the computer from sleep.  So then I ask what about the computer turning on every time the lid open I had it turn on accidentally the lid open enough as i was putting it in the bag luckily I saw the lights turn on and turn it off before it cooked it self inside the bag for hours. I waited for a reply and all I got was Ok so I thought it was looking info up about 5mins later that person ask me if I was still there and  I said Yes i am waiting for a reply about my question....that person said I DID reply I said OK. So by that time I was done and disconnected and was about to return the laptop since i got it brand new.

Good news is I did more research and put windows 8 back in and notice that the computer dose boot faster with these SSD instead of windows 7 it was fairly slow and when I switch back I realize that the bios had an advance feature so I notice that the back light would stay on so now that is working and I just use a magnet to keep telling the computer that it is still close so it wont auto turn on too much.

Now this annoying problem is the touch pad O_O I downloaded the acer drivers for the touch pad I do have the I/O driver installed and the and the I2C HID is in the device manager.

The issues are I can not find the settings for touchpad synaptics tab in the mouse window. I tried using generic drivers to get the settings to show up so I can customize my touch pad settings.

Reason why I need to customize it is I can not select texts due to every time i tap and hold it dose not tap and hold also if I tap and hold the scroll bar it would not do that so I have to manually push the button and hold the button down to drag anything. I really need that function back to efficiently use this computer and play games in tablet mode. I should mention I can tap to select but it wont tap and hold nor dose double tap work. Hope I got all the info in for you I like to consider my self very tech savvy I have a home server a gaming comp and a couple of laptops that I held togeather over years of upgrading fiddling with settings to get the most out of my machines. So I do not mind hoping into registry,bios updates (bit iffy had one failed out of 12 still an A Smiley Tongue ) using CMD and so onish. Just want a working laptop with basic functionality back.

Also this is a fresh install of windows 8.1 not a factory restore and I will not be using factory restored OS.

Thank you for reading this and I hope it will not waste your time finding a solution to this.

These are the Hardware IDs

I2C
ACPI\VEN_INT&DEV_33D1

ACPI\VEN_SYN&DEV_1B7B

Driver 6/21/2006
6.3.9600.16384 Mirosoft (both)

synaptics hid device
HID\VEN_SYN&DEV_1B7B&Col04
HID\SYN1B7B&Col04
HID\*SYN1B7B&Col04
HID_DEVICE_UP:FF00_U:0001
HID_DEVICE_UPR:FF00-FFFF
HID_DEVICE
2/20/2014
Microsoft hardware compatibility publisher

hid compliant touch pad
HID\VEN_SYN&DEV_1B7B&Col02
HID\SYN1B7B&Col02
HID\*SYN1B7B&Col02
HID_DEVICE_UP:000D_U:0005
HID_DEVICE

Driver 6/21/2006
6.3.9600.16384 Mirosoft

Under Mice and other pointing devices
HID\VEN_SYN&DEV_1B7B&Col01
HID\SYN1B7B&Col01
HID\*SYN1B7B&Col01
HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_MOUSE
HID_DEVICE_UP:0001_U:0002
HID_DEVICE

HID\VID_06CB&PID_7680&REV_0001&Col01
HID\VID_06CB&PID_7680&Col01
HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_MOUSE
HID_DEVICE_UP:0001_U:0002
HID_DEVICE

Driver 6/21/2006
6.3.9600.16384 Mirosoft (both)

Ronald ***

Blackdragon1045

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

Best Answer

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Your touchpad is probably not synaptic. It's a MS Precision touchpad.

You may want to uninstall the Symantic driver, reboot,  and check for the Precision touchpad.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/touchpad

• Blackdragon1045

Hello and thank you for your reply.

So windows said I do got a precision touchpad all the gestures work but one of them that is to tap and drag to select texts or to drag a window. according to the link you gave me I am to tap then quickly tap again then slide well that did not work and all the others seem to be fine. I can not seem to find the driver for precision touch pad also for this model acer said I ave the Synptic touchpad and that the only driver I see. When I get home from work I will attempt to uninstall all the drivers cause it dose not show up in the program list so I have to go into device manager and make sure I remove all the synaptic drivers to see if that will get the microsoft drivers in. Anymore ideas or guide will be great thank you for your time.

Ps my bios dose have touch pad set to advance was bout to test it in basic to see if it works better.

Update!

GOOD NEWS EVERBODY! got it to work by switching to basic in the bios settings. However I did uninstall the drivers and restarted and the problem was still there so tht when I went to the bios and change the touchpad settings. So now I can highlight texts drag my windows around and even scroll in websites. Just slightly annoying I cant use gestures and I still cant truly fine tune my touch pad. Kinda regretting selling my older laptop that still works great but it got a c2d sighs the good ol days.

Anyway I wouold rater get it to work in advance mode it stupid how all gestures work but ONE important one. So any ideas will be great! thank you!

• philetus
    Answer ✓
  • Blackdragon1045

Thank you I think i saw that link in a forum where people were arguing it either dell fault or microsoft. I will spend time fiddling with the regstry and settings that link defeintly put me in the right direction thank you so much for your time I will post updates of what I got working smoothly and hopefully I can get gestures to work.

• Blackdragon1045

I tried disabling PTP and installing generics drivers and it did not work it seems like I cant disable and uninstall the drivers it keeps comming back, so i decided to go basic and work with that. Just last week my touch pad was on a major fritz and the mouse would jump badly everytime I lift up or would try to aim at a button everynow and then. It would also cut out completely and is unusable even using FN+O to enable it, it would not work again. I will have to restart the computer after doing that like 10 times a day half those time it would not work but if I push FN+O it would work again. I turn on advance for the touch pad in bios and it will work better no sudden shut off so far however ALL the gestures would work fine BUT the tap and hold. Just how broken is this that it can work with everything else but the one most important gestures well one of the important ones. So once again it piss me off trying to use two fingers to hold the button down and drag with the other finger. I went back today to turn basic back on and now it seems to work however I still CAN NOT scoll cause I cant get a "proper" driver to install so I can enable scrolling but the tap and hold work fine and that what I need the most. That is a weird event how it would just cut out of the blue. Still going to find away to fix this garbaged game and will keep posted any other forums with modded drivers and such to get a properly working touch pad will be great. If only I could just buy another type of touch pad and install it on here.

• philetus

That's not a normal Synaptics touchpad. It's a precision touchpad. You can verify this.

http://acer-in.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33949/~/windows-8.1-touchpad-settings

The only driver it uses is the one installed by Microsoft.

Uninstall the Symantic driver and reboot.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/touchpad

• Blackdragon1045

Hello philetus and thank you for your reply.

I already know about having PTP however the driver provided by ACER is not working 100% cause I can not use the tap and hold function even though microsoft said to use it you have to tap and tap again quickly and hold, however that gesture is not working at all in ADVANCE mode, all other gestures work fine like scrolling and swiping but the tap and hold gesture will not work. if I disable advance and set it to basic it will work fine the TAP and hold, however the scroll wont work as well so it a fair trade off for now since the driver from microsoft for the PTP is not working properly I can not seems to find drivers that is updated in my early post it show my hardware and the driver.

I also downloaded the I/O driver from acer but i am having a hard time searching for newer drivers due to not knowing the hardware names like it took a very long time to find drivers for this laptop ethernet since it was not in the acer support page had to find it in HP since one of their laptops use the same hardware I am looking else where for drivers for another brand to see if it will get PTP to work correctly or at least get more functions back in basic mode. I sure do miss my C2D laptops with simple hardwares that works wounders.

• Blackdragon1045

This one gave me the idea to get it to work so far. Now I can customize all the gestures and the mouse is alot smoother.

got it work with windows 8.1 using the driver from synaptics website for windows 8

I had the synaptics driver installed, so I went to device manager P/S2 mouse and udpated the driver, select browse/manualy and then select let me pick the drivers

Make sure you uncheck show compatible hardware you shal see two panels the left one scrol down to SYNAPTICS and select PS/2 port touchpad that the one i select and now got it working.

continue from there and restart. now you can go to hardware/mouse and see the synaptics settings.

Thank you for your time and i hope this solution will help uniqe problems.

I did notice right click tend to be a lil picky but i can deal with that i got all my other functions back.

• philetus

Was it the latest Windows 8 driver from  synaptics website and other than that were his directions correct?

I'm going to combine his directions and your's for 8.1 so I don't have to send people to 2 links.

Do you think this will work for Windows 10 the way he laid it out?